Friday, January 30, 2009

An Old Sweatshirt and The Good China

I find myself wondering when I will finally get rid of this sweatshirt. I bought it on a vacation with my children during the second year of the two between being married to their father and being married to my wonderful hubby Matt. The vacation, at Bruin Woods, a mountain retreat for alumnus of UCLA, was one of the highlights of my brief singlehood. Located in Big Bear, California, it is a luxurious family camp with activities for both kidlets and adults. On a teacher's salary, it was a splurge; the sweatshirt was priced accordingly. This was 22 years ago. At some point, I cut off the very ragged sleeves of the sweatshirt; at another, I tried to get rid of stains, then discovered that those dark areas weren't the slops and spills of careless eating, but places where the fabric had worn through. I suppose the day will come when this sweatshirt will become a rag, but for now I wear it around the house constantly.

I seem to be drawn magnet-like to those of my possessions which have seen their better days. Perhaps it is truer to say that these are the things to which I have the greatest connection. They feel the most like mine. I'm sure it started out with the idea of "saving the best for company." The occasions of hosting guests with The Good China have been very few and very far between. I usually prefer to use the decent everyday pieces over those with the silver rim that would be damaged by the dishwasher. With the addition of a young granddaughter at any big family dinners that I host from now on, who will guard The Good China from her surging inquisitiveness if I choose to use it?


The Good China consists of the silver rimmed ones that my children's father and I received from
my uncle as a wedding gift and a rose patterned set that I inherited from my mother.
Neither set has seen much wear. Currently they are stored in a cabinet with packages of dry dog food. It has occurred to me that these sets of good china will find their way to a thrift shop after I die. Or, if one of my children decides to keep them, they will either cycle them in for daily use or, like me and my mother, hardly use them at all. And, if the latter, will they be passed from generation to generation as valued heirlooms? Would those progeny who'll never know me be burdened by such an inheritance, especially if the memories of multiple ancestors were carried forth by such possessions? Or perhaps there would be the war of the plates, the hapless progeny fighting over the ancient soup bowls and coffee cups finally caught up in a frenzied battle. My imagination runs wild. My children have grown up in a disposable society. Ben and his wife got as wedding gifts more good dishes than they can use in a lifetime. The dishes I have are not of their style. Rachael finds too much enjoyment in living life to take on the mind-set of The Good China psyche. She'd toss the silver rimmed plates into the dishwasher and shrug when they got chipped.

As I've played out these various fantasies, I find myself saying, "Why not?" Perhaps it's time for me to start enjoying what I've guarded to the point of disuse these many years. I'll start freely using the rose patterned set from my mother. I'll use the silver rimmed set at big family dinners and shrug if they get chipped or broken. I'll wash them by hand, though. Seeing the silver rims erode after a couple of tours in the dishwasher would pulverize me with guilt. I'd feel like I was stealing from the future.


12 comments:

Kathy said...

I had my own dear mother's "blue and whites" that I grew up with. They were in the oak and glass china cabinet and brought out for very special occasions. My older daughter fell in love with them and now displays them in her home. I prefer dishes that look like hand thrown pottery and pick up pretty unmatched glasses and cups at yard sales and use them when my kids and grandkids come. I have a set of "red and whites" I collected a setting at a time from Cracker Barrel and use them in my own glass front cabinet more for decoration than for eating from. But I don't consider them precious in any way and have no problem with letting the kids eat from them. I say get those dishes out and use them! And you can enjoy all those precious memories every time you do. They will probably never mean as much to anyone else as they do to you!
I would love to tell you to toss the sweatshirt but I'm afraid I love my old clothes and cling to them in the same way you do to that sweatshirt! So enjoy it as long as you can, girlfriend!!! lol

new*me said...

nothing more comfy than an old sweatshirt!

I love dishes of any kind :)

40 Something said...

I really don't know why I even care, not really my normal type of concern, but I want dibs on my mom's china when she moves to a better land. I always imagined the President would eat off her China someday, it was really the only thing that was her's that she valued besides her college class ring which was stolen in a break-in about 15 years ago. She likes to live simple, but her China is the exception. More then anything they say "Mom" to me and I would cherish them forever.

Lorraine said...

Gosh you've said that so well Arlene, I have sweaters that are as worn as yours, and I am not throwing them unless they walk to the garbage by themselves...Yes that Pink set looks wonderful, honestly use it, or you can send it to me, I have no problem using exquisite dishes for me or my 3 cats lol I always enjoy your posts ;)

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: I like the idea of picking up pretty unmatched glasses and cups. My preferred sellers are the local thrift shops. (One has to get up too early to go to yard sales.) When I was engaged to my children's father and registering my preferences, I was all about silver, china (the "Dee" pattern, I believe), and Waterford crystal. Now I prefer dishes that I feel more comfortable using, casual stuff, though ever so often I still enjoy serving myself a glass of (relatively cheap) wine in the expensive stuff.

Annette: Absolutely!

Graham: I appreciate your comment as you reflect on what you'd like to receive from your mom's estate. That's too bad about the class ring. Whoever stole it can never know its true value or how much it meant to your mother.

Lorraine: Thanks. I like the visual of our various sweat shirts and sweater walking to the garbage by themselves, maybe arguing about which one lasted the longest along the way.

40 Something said...

hey I got the Soba noodles too, in buckwheat, thanks for the comment on my blog

Mick & Cathy said...

I think we all hang on to clothes we like or are comfy.

Rebecca said...

I have an old denim jacket somewhere that I've had since I was 14 or 15, maybe younger. It doesn't fit anymore, but I remember dying it multiple times. I turned that thing into a work of art, and never wore it anywhere because it didn't match any of my clothes. I think it's in my bedroom closet, waiting for what? I don't know, but I sure as heck won't toss it. Maybe my daughter will some day.

ArleneWKW said...

Graham: Yup, I read your blog re. Soba noodles. At the store where I buy mine, they also have 2 other types of noodles packaged in the same way. Both are good + relatively low cal.

Mick: I wonder if "the beautiful people," ie. Donald Trump's supermodel wife, also keep and wear their old and tattered sweatshirts and such.

Rebecca: Oh yes, definitely save it for your daughter. The denim jacket has a history and maybe even tales to tell.

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Arlene.
You sound like me. I hold onto things forever. I'm a packrat, but not as bad as my step father! LOL Your silver-rimmed china looks kind of like the dishes of my mother's that I will get whenever I get around to getting out there to pick them up! The weather here has been terrible! I have a lot of furniture out there that I need to bring home as well, like I really have room for it! I think you had commented on one of my previous posts while my internet was down and said that you liked a certain song and asked me what it was. I have 72 songs on that playlist and they play randomly each time you pop in, so it's hard to say. The only thing I could tell you is to visit again and scroll down the list of songs. You can click on any of them to listen.
I'm going to bed now.
Have a great weekend.
Lisa

laughingwolf said...

use em all daily, arlene ;)

mom split her 'good china' between my sis and i, sis used hers all the time... mine are still in a box... at sis' place :O lol

ArleneWKW said...

Lisa: I guess in some way these things that get passed down can become a burden as we try to find a place for them in our own lives. I experience this with some of the things that my mother valued.

Laughingwolf: I can't help but wonder why you don't let your sister have the other half of the set.