Saturday, January 3, 2009

Used New Year's Eves and The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I am not a snob when it comes to the gently used discards from another person's life. Indeed, I have purchased some very cool items from my local thrift shops. However, I have a very visceral reaction to someone else's used New Year's Eve when midnight hits my own little town. Shortly before the Magic Hour on December 31st, Matt and I were frantically trying to find a TV station that was broadcasting from a site at least somewhere in our time zone. One station, broadcasting from Las Vegas, promoted the daring stunt that Robbie Knievel would be doing at the start of the New Year, but they kept flipping back to an earlier recording of the scene at Times Square when the ball dropped. I have nothing against Times Square, New York, or their beautiful dropping ball, but when I ring in the New Year, I want it to be New, not Used. With seconds left until midnight California time, we turned off the TV and decided that the New Year would begin precisely when we cheered it in, reminiscent perhaps of an earlier New Year's Eve when my son, then obsessed with watches, kept looking at his watch. With the TV announcer shouting Happy New Year, Ben waited until his watch said the time had arrived.

We had made plans this year to stay overnight in the Cavallopoint Lodge at Fort Baker in a bayfront room from which we would have been able to view the San Francisco fireworks. My being sick put the kabash on that. As it turned out, it may have been too foggy to see the fireworks anyway. Matt and I ended up eating take-out from a local grocery store and watching two History Channel programs, one about Envy and the other about Gluttony, my personal favorite of the 7 Deadly Sins. After that, we spent considerable time zapping through the many commercials of a movie that Matt had recorded before the election. This was my first introduction to the famed Rocky Horror Picture Show. What an awesomely fun movie! I want to make it a New Years Eve tradition. I want to go to a movie house showing with props and all. I'd really be interested in any comments from those of you who have seen it.

My dreary cough is still hanging on, but I'm well enough to play catch up with some of the chores I deferred during my sickness. I am also pleased to say that as of 6:02 p.m. Saturday, I have maintained the self discipline with food that I expect to maintain for the rest of my life (a bit of an affirmation here). Replaying some of the scenes in the History Channel's program on gluttony may help me with this.

14 comments:

Lorraine said...

That's hilarious Arlene, you made me chuckle as for the Rocky Horror Show, I went to see it on a blind date and half way through I said I was sick, had to go home lol I can't remember if it were the date, the movie, or popcorn? Elton John had songs in that movie, I think...I hope your affirmation works well for you, once on New Year's Eve, I went to see with my bf (at the time)and my son, The Lord of the Rings, was great lol

carla said...

and new years tradition you SHOULD make it---this post brought back many Rocky Horror memories for me ;)

MizFit

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I have high hopes for my affirmation. I only saw the last of the 3 Lord of the Rings movies. I saw it in a theater and loved it. When I rented the first one and saw it at home, I was disappointed + shut it down after the first half hour.

Carla: What a great thing to have a movie such as this as a context for memories.

Kathy said...

Loved your post! I had never considered the idea of a "used" New Year celebration, probably because we are on East Coast time, but I found the concept hilarious! And your son's desire to celebrate on his time reminded me so much of the independent and almost stubborn nature of my own younger daughter!

Rocky Horror was all the rage when my daughters were in high school and they would go with their dates all dressed in character and with props and mouth all the words along with the movie. They had a blast doing it!

Congrats on being on track. My WW moxie has taken hold and I have had a couple of stellar days myself! I also had to giggle at your picking which of the Deadly Sins was your favorite! Gluttony is definitely my pick of the Seven too...closely followed by Sloth!!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Funny you should mention the time zone thing because I was watching a film the other day & it was set in Missouri and it was NYE, The family in the scene was all staring at the TV to celebrate midnight but where actually watching TV which supposedly showed Times square.
I remember thinking at the time this can't be quite right, I suppose Hollywood can change the rules, lol.

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: Sloth is also my 2nd favorite Deadly Sin. I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

Mick: We also get rebroadcasts of New Year's Eve celebrations in England.Plus various other parts of the world. By the time the New Year reaches us, it's a bit tattered and torn.

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Arlene. thanks for the visit. I like the same pic. Glenna is my friend who is living in Alaska since the death of her son in July 2007. His death was originally ruled a suicide, but our suspicions are being confirmed that he was murdered. We are also pretty sure of who did it, but can't prove it at this time. She and I have been friends for about 35 years.
We didn't even bother watching any New Year's celebrations. We watched DVD's and fell asleep on the couch. Real party animals here! lol Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. Hope you get better soon.
TTYL
Take care
Lisa

laughingwolf said...

i agree with 'used' new year celebrations... and i think the nyc 'ball' has become VERY tacky, and their celebration needs to be 21st centuryized

ArleneWKW said...

Lisa: That's so sad for Glenna. She's lucky to have you as a friend.

Laughingwolf: Actually tacky would be okay if it was timely. It really does seem like each time zone should get its own New Years Eve. Or maybe we should globally celebrate it when if hits the first place near Australia, I think. I don't want to goggle it right now.

Nola said...

I loved the Rocky Horror show!! You made me laugh with your favourite sins....mine too!! We had a quiet NY Eve too...just watched the specials on the TV and then the televised fireworks on the Sydney harbour bridge. They were spectacular though:)I would rather watch that than a ball:)

ArleneWKW said...

Nola: I guess a lot of people had quiet New Year's Eves. I'd rather watch the Sydney Harbor Bridge's fireworks than that stupid ball.

Anonymous said...

The fireworks weren't too fogged out. Fort Baker may have been different, but from my perspective on a roof in SOMA, it was fine

ArleneWKW said...

Justjuliebean: Thanks for your comment. I believe that it is the first from someone in the Bay area.

Anonymous said...

I watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Midnight Movies, back in the day (when people used to throw rice at the screen and yell out the lines). Once was enough for me, but it did have Meatloaf.