Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Prey and Predator



Daisy (the prey) and Roi (the predator)
It's hard to see this in these pictures.  Looks can be deceiving.
I've been trying to train Roi,the orange tabby, to not chase and stalk, to not stare at Daisy when she's on her "safe chair" and suddenly pounce, to not corner her and attack.
Roi knows that he will get in trouble for following what is his instinct.
I am asking him to go against his DNA.
All my life, I have had cats (and a dog when I was a child.)
Never have I had a furry family member that didn't get along with another furry family member.
(I've had as many as three cats at a time.)
They've lived peacefully together and sometimes cuddled with each other.
(I have some strategies for training Roi up my sleeve that I haven't yet tried.)
The furry members of my family have always mattered to me, less so when I was bringing up human children, more now that they are the little ones in the home I share with the wonderful Gari (who shares my love for the animals in our lives.)
There was a time in my life when I had this tongue-in-cheek thought:  (I know) God doesn't hate me ' cause he created cats.
Cats bring so much joy and love to my life.
Right now Roi is testing whether this is true in his case.



6 comments:

Out of Sight L said...

Little bugger...you know Kimmi my Calico and my oldest will not attack but boy does she roar whenever Sammi or Mikey approaches
funny thing is Mikey would not dare attack Kimmi but Sammi, poor defenless fluffy puppy just lies in submission but the sounds from her throat, I know immediately that Mikey is attacking. All I have to do is clap my hand and say Mikey you let go of Sammi immediately if he doesn't then I just get up and he moves away than Sammi comes running to me then again Mikey is so male they are family aren't they, I couldn't live without them hope they stay as long as I do but not survive me, 'cause they've beeen with me in the same since birth and they would not adjust well

Out of Sight L said...

I meant same HOUSE

Kathy said...

We miss having a pet but we want to find the perfect one. The next one will have to be very special because we will have Kipper to compare him to and that is hard!

ArleneWKW said...

My last strategy seems to have failed. If Roi sits near the entrance to the TV room, he can monitor Daisy's movements throughout the house. Today I locked Roi up in Gari's office. Daisy quickly recognized that she was safe from the Roi menance. She has been alternatively running freely from place to place around the house and relaxing in front of a window.

Out of Sight L said...

I meant to say I'm happy that you're good looking man is still there with you x

ArleneWKW said...

Me too.