Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Presence of Random Strangers

I've just had the surreal experience of being the only person in a movie theater. Instead of being caught up in the on-screen action, I was keenly aware of my role as a spectator. The sound quality was the worst part; it was as if it and the visual effects of the film were separate entities. I almost walked out on the film and later was glad that it was "Up In The Air,"the dreary story of a guy who goes around firing people, rather than "Hurt Locker" or "Crazy Heart" that I was seeing this way.

As I left the theater, I felt weighed down by a sense that my experience was a metaphor for life's meaning (or meaninglessness) or the nature of reality. This feeling continued as I entered the parking garage where earlier I'd managed to find a well lighted place close to the entrance. Unexpectedly, the woman who was tonight's attendant greeted me as I entered the garage and stood by as I put in a couple of dollars in the payment machine. Her presence where I'd expected to be alone was a pleasant contrast to the emptiness of the theater.

I hadn't realized before this how much the mere presence of random strangers comforts me as I make my way in the world.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

I'm glad that this happened to you, because your writing is absolutely fabulous, I can so easily see you write a column...This is fantastic Arlene!
and I would have loved to take a photo of you in the empty theatre...talk about a photo telling a story, well you told it instead, and now I have the pic in my mind!

Kathy said...

I don't think I could sit alone in a movie theatre! My imagination would get the better of me. You are a brave woman.

Timoteo said...

There are different ways you can look at it. I've sat alone in a theater. It made me feel pretty special...all this just for me?

Alternate Comment: I've sat alone in a theater...but I was 45 minutes early.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I'm looking forward to seeing the pic escape from your mind into some fabulous photo.

Kathy: I didn't even think to be afraid. Parking garages, on the other hand, scare me. I was relieved to park in a lighted space and to have the company of the parking attendant when I returned to my car.

Timoteo: It all felt so hollow for me. I'm glad you're able to eek specialness out of similar experiences.

Mick & Cathy said...

I couldn't imagine been sat in the picture house alone, must have been so strange, think I would have left early.

ArleneWKW said...

Mick: It was totally creepy.