Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Morning With The Tax Man

The dream is a fairly typical one. It's the day of the final exam. You haven't read the book. You haven't been coming to class. You're totally unprepared. "That," I told Al, my accountant, "is how I feel today." I laid 5 or 6 files of loosely organized papers on his desk and waited for him to take charge.

It's been hard for me to wrap my mind around a year's worth of Matt's record keeping. By the time we went to see Al in years past, Matt was able to give him, in a highly organized way, all the information necessary to prepare our taxes. I spent the five days prior to this morning's appointment trying to replicate what Matt did. Mostly I procrastinated, was enormously distracted, and felt mind numbing fatigue which I tried alleviate with handfuls of cold cereal and other carbs. Ultimately, I accepted my limitations and hoped that Al would do so as well. Next year, it will be different I assured him. I'll have my own system. I'll continue with some of the things Matt has been doing, but will streamline it in a way that is more comfortable for me.

These annual meeting that Matt and I had with Al have always been 30% tax prep and 70% chat as old friends. For us today, the percentages were similar. Al was very patient with me during the first part of our time together as he sorted through the papers that I gave him. Only once did he say, "Matt would have had this on a chart for me." And then we chatted. I was surprised how freely our conversation flowed, how much I enjoyed it, and how much I learned about this 79 year old man that I didn't know before today.

People are really quite fascinating once you hear their stories. Mostly, we're busy bobbing around in our own lives, passing others by as passers-by and seeing people in their relationship to ourselves. Sometimes, though, we get to listen to their stories and hear the music of their lives. We hear something new, something unexpected, and it changes us, even if only a little.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

You and your courage never ever fail to amaze me...
the word definition is CARES, truer words...

Kathy said...

I'm sure you will come up with an equally efficient system of record keeping. I'm the one who waves the magic wand and gets the taxes taken care of each year at our house. All Harold does is "encourage" me to sit down and do it! And remind me to keep track of all the deductions...especially the donations to Goodwill and DAV.

Your last paragraph is the one that struck me right between the eyes. I know that I have been directed to you through some kind of force. This is not the first time that something you have written has made a deep impression on me. Just last night, I had a conversation on Facebook with a woman I knew in high school and she was suggesting that she and I and two other classmates get together this summer when she is in town. I haven't seen these women or kept in touch with them since I graduated in 1967 and the first thing I told her was the idea of meeting up with people I haven't seen in over 40 years knowing that I am that much older and fatter was scary and I would have to decide just how vulnerable I wanted to be! She responded just as she should that we were old friends and that weight and age are issues with everyone and that it would be fun to catch up on each other's lives.

As much as I wanted to see them and laugh with them and know what had happened in their lives, I was putting myself and my fears smack dab in the middle of what would be a wonderful meeting. After reading that last paragraph, I'm going to go and I am putting their stories before my own. And whose life will be enriched by doing so? Thanks again for some worthwhile advice!

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I'm not sure about the courage thing. I do what I have to do. Cares is a good word. I like it.

Kathy: Good for you! I'm glad to have played a part in your very wise decision.

Timoteo said...

My tax preparer is like an old friend too--we have nice conversations each year. Then I realize I'm only fooling myself because I still get charged the same as everybody else!

Lorraine said...

and I a pleasant suprise, I'm getting money...woo hoo

ArleneWKW said...

Timoteo: I'll probably get charged more this year 'cause I wasn't as organized as Matt.

Lorraine: I'll be paying money. I wish it was for a good cause.