Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm Walking to Quebec

It is approximately 2978.52 miles from my house to Chambly, Quebec, the home of The Fauna Foundation, one of the animal groups to which I donate. Caring for chimpanzees that have been rescued is one of their primary missions. I'd like to see their facility in person and also possibly volunteer there for a while. I'd also enjoy spending time in Quebec, maybe brushing up on my college French and putting it to some good use. So I've decided to spend the coming weeks and months and years, walking to Quebec (virtually). It's going to be a long walk. I'll have to plan out my journey and figure out where I'll want to stop along the way.

At this point, I haven't even gotten out of my own neighborhood, but I've started the journey and that's the important thing. I walked 1.4 miles on Thursday, 1.8 on Friday, and 2.5 today. These are the mileages indicated on my elliptical cross trainer after I've worked out on these days. I could accumulate mileage faster if I kept the resistence and the incline of my elliptical at the lowest levels, but that hardly seems fair. The real world has hills and varying elevations.

I'll also be counting the distance that I traverse in my daily life - once I take the minute or two that I need to spend figuring out how my new pedometer works. Knowing that I'll get to Quebec quicker by doing this should motivate me to do this. I'm such a terrible procrastinator. My hubby, Matt, got me an IPOD 2+ years ago and I still haven't uploaded (or downloaded, I can never figure out which) songs to it. The musical keyboard that I purchased about eight months ago is sitting on the desk in our guest room untouched.

Walking to Quebec is not an original idea. Well maybe the place is, but not the process.
A while back, I came across the blog of a woman walking somewhere else. Unfortunatley, I can't credit this particular woman, because I didn't bookmark her blog. If anyone reading this has that info., I appreciate getting the link.

12 comments:

Cory said...

What a great idea! You'll get your pedometer worked out, and putting some songs on that ipod just might help you tick those miles off quicker!

Kathy said...

Brilliant! And you could go to Gatineau and visit Lorraine!

Lorraine said...

Wow et merci Kathy, j'allais justement le mentionner, aren't you a genius...Wait now this is About Arlene, way to go girl, I may have to start walking for real as my car died totally today, that is so not good!!!

new*me said...

I walked it with DC ;) .......she's on my blogrolll and we walked (some are still walking ) to North Platte, NE

Get some good shoes girl :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Interesting, I reckon it will become very motivational when you get into the journey.

ArleneWKW said...

Cory: Actually I'm already listening to songs etc. on my CD player, one of the advantages of having my own elliptical. At some point, though, I will eventually eventually some day load my IPOD.

Kathy: It would be fun to virtually visit on-line friends along the way.

Lorraine: justement=only or just?
I forgot mentioner. I'm going to mention it ??? I hope it doesn't cost to much to resurrect your car. I hate spending money for that kind of thing.

Annette: Thank you for the info. I'll check out D.C.'s and some other blogs.

Mick: It already motivated me. I was totally exhausted yesterday, but persevered because of this new approach.

laughingwolf said...

a fun challenge, arlene :D

i have to get back to walking too, but since i can only see reasonably today with one eye closed, dunno when i'll actually start :(

ArleneWKW said...

Laughingwolf: Fun indeed! I hope the recovery from your eye surgery speeds up.

Unknown said...

Arlene this is a cool concept. Very creative indeed! Good luck on your trek, Barbara

ArleneWKW said...

Barbara: Thanks. I appreciate your comment.

Lorraine said...

justement: as a matter of fact...and yes for 'mentionner' lol your French is pretty good ;)

Moby Dick said...

Did you read about that lady who got chewed up by the chimp? Apparently the owner lived with the chimp in flagrante delicto and when she had some domestic violence issues with her chimp she called on her friend to intervene. BIG MISTAKE.

Lesson: Don't spank the monkey.