Sunday, March 22, 2009

Never A Wasted Day


As I drove home on Saturday from the San Francisco Flower and Garden Show in pouring rain and slow moving traffic, I tried to find the kernels of value in an otherwise disappointing day. A vision of mining for gold with a sieve in the cold waters of a river the location of which I no longer remember comes to mind. And then a related image, paying for the privilege of panning for gold as a child at Knotts Berry Farm. In all these instances, the prize was unequal to the cost of the experience. Yet, a gracious life requires one to look for the small scraps of joy amidst the trash.

The San Francisco Flower and Garden Show was a commercial display of things to buy and vendors to hire. Perhaps I was naive to expect that the 25 gardens the marketer promoted would actually be gardens. I spent the first few minutes being disappointed about where my hour and a half drive had taken me, then cruised around making the best of it. On my drive home, I searched for the nuggets of gold:

A few minutes chatting with a woman in her early 80's while I sat at a bench eating my barbecued beef sandwich. She was from Pennsylvania visiting her daughter for three months. She'd come out for the first time in nine years to attend her granddaughter's confirmation.She told me that her husband died a year ago and that she now felt homeless in the home that they'd occupied.

A conversation with a vendor who was selling silk backed glass items that she had created. She told me how she makes them, stopping short of revealing what she uses to adhere the silk to the glass. She said that she enjoys working with detail. I told her that I enjoy working with fragments in my glass art. Our conversation ended when customers came. Before going to them, she asked for a link to my glass site.

I came away from the show with an idea of what I'd like to do with a very small patch of land in our backyard. In that patch are the remains of a mostly unsuccessful attempt to grow vegetables. A hint: vegetables don't do particularly well in a mostly shady area, particularly if the ground is hard and the one gardener who's willing to take time with it moves on. It had been my daughter, Rachael's, project. If I follow through with the inspiration that I got from the show, it may become a meditation area of sorts with a statue or two or three and some of the glass stuff I've made and will make.



There were some vendors who sold art glass or incorporated it into their creations. The pictures of the items they were selling will inspire my own creativity.

I had the radio on as I was sorting through my day. At one point, Garth Brooks was singing "Friends in Low Places" just for me. With my car at a virtual stand-still and the rain pounding on my windshield, I turned the volume up and, for that moment, everything was in blissful harmony and I was at its center.

I grab on to these experiences and hold them tightly. And I smile.

14 comments:

Kathy said...

I loved your first paragraph! The willingness to search for those scraps are what keep you going! Ironic that you use glass scraps and fragments in the art you produce...or is it?
My husband and I do a lot of garage sales in the summer and twice I have been invited to a back yard that has been a virtual wonderland! Every inch has been used to best advantage and have just made me happy to have had the opportunity to see them. They were not professionally done but were the result of the vision of the people who lived in the homes...both very generous, btw. The gentleman sent me home with several plants tucked away in a paper bag and te lady showed me through her home which could have easily been a layout in Country Living. I guess we just have to enjoy those brief glimpses into Paradise whenever we can!

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: I always enjoy reading your comments. I hadn't previously thought about my enjoyment of making art out of fragments, but it really fits in so very many ways. I like to organize my external world. I think that it helps me deal with the fragmentation and chaos of my internal world.

Lorraine said...

I love this, it's a real inspiration. I wish I could do what you do, drive to unknown places, and find moments that matter. I read this twice, and I loved it even more the second time ;)

Mick & Cathy said...

Maybe the garden show wasn't what you expected but not a total dissapointment if it gives you inspiration to do something with your own garden.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Thanks. I've always enjoyed solo outings, a product of being a socially awkward only child. When you feel ready to make the first baby steps to drive to unknown places, you'll be able to do so little by little by little.

Mick: Not a total disappointment at all.

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Arlene
Love your post. I always seem to be disappointed at my findings when I go someplace, expecting to see something and it's nothing like I expected! Par for the course for me! lol
Take care and have a great week.
Lisa

ArleneWKW said...

Lisa: Ah, that's too bad. From the beautiful photos you take, it looks like you truly appreciate the beauty of the world around you.

laughingwolf said...

excellent way of meditation, arlene :)

Nola said...

I love that song of Garth Brooks! and I love how you got all those postives out of your day!! The idea for your shady area sounds fantastic.....turn it into your "Rest and Reflection" area. Two fold meaning with the glass reflecting as well as yourself:)

Unknown said...

I like how you found some good in an otherwise not so great experience. I need to do more of that. Good luck with your yard project, I like the picture.

ArleneWKW said...

Nola: I like the double entendre and, as always, appreciate your remarks.

Barbara: I need to work at keeping this kind of positive attitude. And I really especially need to do this with getting back on track with eating and exercise. I'm so glad that you are back in the blog world and commenting on my post.

ArleneWKW said...

Thanks Laughingwolf. I appreciate your comment.

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful and beautiful trip you described!

ArleneWKW said...

Thanks Al