Monday, March 16, 2009

What Kathy Said

Kathy said it all only better.

Here is my response:

Kathy, you are expressing so much of what I've been going through. I read stats that say that women who eat more healthfully and exercise more regularly than I do live, on the average, 14 years longer and yet, though I covet those extra years, I don't seem to change my unhealthful ways. Unlike you, I defeat myself with binges. Also I thoroughly enjoy working out on my elliptical (even as I choose not to in favor of other activities). Like you, but with a few extra years - I'll soon be friggin 63 - I want to enjoy my remaining years. Enjoying food is a part of this, though being a size ten again would be highly enjoyable too. Anyway, you've expressed it so well that my post for today will be a link to your blog followed by this comment.

I looked at your cake recipes before reading this post. At friggin 63, I want the freedom to make those cakes and have reasonably sized slices ever so often. I need to get a handle on the binging before I can do it though.

Beyond my comment to Kathy: I will not longer be writing about my progress in dealing with the various aspects of weight loss and exercise until I've managed to accumulate 3 solid weeks of success with either. I still intend to walk to Quebec and will note my progress (unless I wimp out and delete that section of my blog). I haven't given up with my move to a healthier lifestyle, but I need to shut up and get on with it.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Aw...you're so sweet! Thanks for the linkage!

Anonymous said...

You may not appreciate my advice but I had to deal with and stop my bingeing before I could get anywhere with weight loss. I was just spinning my wheels, frustrating myself.

carla said...

sometimes, with MANY of my goals, Im there.

so I get it entirely.

the need to just DO and not talk about doing.

Miz.

Lorraine said...

No way Arlene, post about it, bitch as much as you want, talk about it, 'cause the way you write it is always excellent...'sides I'd rather hear you bitching about it thank not seeing you post at all ;)

new*me said...

the Nike saying "Just Do It" didn't apply to me either! Seriously, I think the "click" has to happen, and until it does, it is a struggle every step of the way! Your brain, heart, body and spirit all have to just come together at the same time for it all to work.

Change is coming :)

Rebecca said...

Don't give up on your walk to Quebec Arlene! I am looking forward to reading about your journey, and you are already at least halfway to your first stop. I know you can do it!

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: I'm so glad to have you as an on-line friend.

Julie: I very much appreciate your advice and I think it is totally on target.

Carla: There really is a distinction between the two and only one of them accomplishes results.

Lorraine: I'm glad you've stayed with me and not grown weary with my good intentions. I'll continue blogging, but will limit my posts about dealing with weight loss.

Annette: "The click" is such a good term for it. The last successful time around I KNEW from the beginning that I'd be successful.

ArleneWKW said...

Thanks Rebecca. I worked out on the elliptical today and yesterday. The Quebec walk continues to motivate me when I let it.

laughingwolf said...

arlene, i get into stages when i foodicate, then hate myself for it... but i'm determined to lose at least 40#, come hell of high water....

ArleneWKW said...

Laughingwolf: Foodicate, a very good word. You might find me using it :-)