Thursday, February 26, 2009

A World of Choices

I've been thinking about Mariam and Laila, the two women who become virtual slaves to the man they marry in Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both women were coerced into a cruel marriage after the lives they'd had before were oblitereated. In a society increasingly intolerant of the rights of women, this one choice could not be undone. They were their husband's undisputed property. Failure to absolutely meet his demands and unspoken desires could result in knocked out teeth and blackened eyes. Serving him well could have the same result.

I live a life with multiple options. I think right now I am in the glory days of choices. My kidlets have grown into competent adults. My husband and I have managed to secure a reasonably comfortable retirement. My health is good. The same cannot be said of my hubby's health. His options diminish to the extent that he's being tormented by gout or arthritus or some new infestion that his body is not adequately fighting. His leukemia diagnosis casts its shadow in all directions.

I think I've made pretty good choices throughout my life. When I haven't, life has dealt with me relatively kindly anyway. In slightly more than one month, I will turn friggin 63. You'd think by now I'd have mastered this business of making choices. And yet . . .

An e-mail and blogger friend of mine told me about an assignment for her writing class. The students were to write "I wish" on twenty lines of paper and then complete the sentence with a particular wish. Following that, they were to describe one thing that they could do that would help transform that wish into a reality. I've given this a lot of thought and plan to write about it in more detail at some point in my other blog. The only wish over which I have any control
that I could think of is for me to get back the self discipline that I demonstrated when I successfully got rid of 65+ pounds. This was from approximately October 2001 through the following year and a half.

Instead of being self disciplined, my currrent guiding principal has been immediate self gratification. I'm troubled by that, yet so far not troubled enough to get off my butt. My elliptical cross trainer is 12 1/2 inches away from me as I write this. I measured the distance.

I glory in the multitude of my choices, yet I treat them carelessly. Even now, I find myself resisting the call to action. I want to work on updating my photo albums, a task I've resisted these past two days so that I could enjoy the taskless self indulgence of reading a good book.

It is 2:55 p.m. It is entirely possible for me to put in a half hour on the elliptical and still have time to work on the photo album. It is entirely possible for me to assume control over what I eat in the hours that remain of this day.

I'm going to take that first step now.

10 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

You said:
"My elliptical cross trainer is 12 1/2 inches away from me as I write this. I measured the distance."

LOL!

But give yourself some credit for that effort. It must have burned 1 calorie. Do that all day long, and you'll be "measurably" athletic.

Best wishes!

Cory said...

Good job on deciding to take the first step.

Kathy said...

It is my belief that time spent reading (or knitting, in my case) are never wasted and should never induce a feeling of guilt. Life is so darned short and if you are like me, you have given up lots of that time to make sure that other people were happy and cared for. This is our time and we should do what makes us happy! As long as it's not harming anyone else! If my genealogy research can sit there gathering dust so can your photo album. Relax and enjoy!

new*me said...

so did you take the step :)?

YOU can DO it....it is in you.......find it and GO!!!

ArleneWKW said...

Jim: Thanks for your comment and your humor.

Cory: The first step is so much harder than the 2nd and also makes the 2nd possible.

Kathy: Ah yes, my genealogy stuff. I gave up on that, but may someday return. Right now, that seems like such a chore.

Annette: I did take that first step and will get on the elliptical right after writing this. You are such a major inspiration to me.

Lorraine said...

Excellent and well-written post Arlene, I am sorry about your husband's illness, it must very difficult for you...It's obvious to me that you've always done your best with what life has sent your way and I think you've earned your right to relax

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Thanks. I appreciate your comment.

Unknown said...

Well at least you are trying. I have all but given up!

ArleneWKW said...

Barbara: Giving up is not an option for me. I've already crossed the 200 mark and am a whisper away from 210. If I give up, I could easily find myself at 300 then 400 etc.

Rebecca said...

Good luck with your walk Arlene! I guess I better update my blog since you credited me with the wishes thing.... thanks.