Saturday, December 6, 2008

Seeing My World Through Daisy's Eyes


It is 12:54 a.m. I'm almost at the point where I'm likely to drift unimpeded into Sleepland once I snuggle into my pillow. Daisy, with her copper owl eyes, has been watching me type. At one point, she seemed fascinated by the magical appearance of the letters on the screen. I guess, not knowing the process, it is for her as if something suddenly popped into existence. I experience the opposite of this at times when things seem to pop out of existence. At these times, the concept of anti-matter as I understand it seems very real to me. Most recently my glasses, which so often disappear, really did disappear for a full day. I ended up driving to my glass class without wearing them. I had a major headache as the day wore on. My glasses did not turn up, though I did find them, and not by searching, but rather by analyzing Sherlock Holmes-like. The infamous family room couch, which is the scene of most of my food crimes, swallowed up my glasses and spit them out on the floor beneath. I'm struck as I write this that the word is "glasses" and that we refer to them as plural. We talk about a pair of glasses when referring to only the one item. The thing about my family room couch is that this one item is constructed as if it is three items with the space between each of the seats sometimes forming a chasm into which things fall at will. Underneath this couch, this too-heavy-to-move-by-oneself couch, are pencils and ice cream spoons and bits of food. It is really rather disgusting when you think about it, which I don't. Thankfully I was able to fish out my glasses with a ruler.

Daisy is no longer watching me. I will probably find her nestled in the blankets on the bed. She will find her comfortable spot curled within the arc of my left arm as I begin to drift off to sleep. When I turn to make my full committment to the land of dreams, she'll hop off and go to one of her night time places. In the morning, she'll come to investigate whether I'm ready to greet her and the new day. If I turn back to the pillows, she'll leave only to return a bit later. I wonder what she makes of the long uninterrupted slumbers of us human beings. I suppose cats don't wonder about such things. They accept their world as it is and they deal with it. Daisy was wary of me in the beginning of our relationship. In addition to accepting her world and dealing with it, she was and is open to seeing her world differently. I think I can learn something about life from Daisy.

Morning postscript: Daisy was not waiting for me in bed nor did she come in later last night. She did her morning check up on me. Cats, like humans, are not always predictable.

13 comments:

carla said...

or a pair of pants.

Ive learned more, I think, from my bullmastiff and how he lives his days than I have from my human interactions :)

MizFit

40 Something said...

Since 2 pieces of glass make a pair of glasses they are plural, just like other eyewear contact lens, shades,bifocals, sunglasses, and spectacles.

Not sure of the logic with pants, but it does have two leg holes, which makes it plural I guess like: Trousers. Leggings. Breeches. Britches. Jeans. Corduroys. Pyjama bottoms. Joggers. Longjohns. Slacks. Jodhpurs. Khakis. Bellbottoms. Chinos. Shorts. Underpants. Knickers. Briefs. Boxers. Trunks. Speedos. Underoos. Bloomers. Drawers. Panties. and Jockeys. In fact only one English word is singular for a two leg holed piece of clothing. Can anyone guess?

laughingwolf said...

'glasses' have TWO lenses, mostly, hence the plural, same as scissors = two blades

ArleneWKW said...

It's interesting that, of the three comments thus far, all deal with my aside about the word "glasses" being plural. I understand now and remember that a single lens is called an "eyepiece" or something like that.

Carla: Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comment. I'll check out your blog a bit later.

TTM: I'm so glad to see you commenting on my blog again. I checked out yours again and saw that I can indeed leave comments on your blogspot site. I'll do so in the next several days. A big hurray for you that you've gotten rid of all that weight. Re. your question: A bikini is a singular word for a two leg holed piece of clothing. Is that what you had in mind?

Laughingwolf: Ah yes, scissors also and probably a whole bunch of other things that I haven;t thought of. Thanks for your comment.

40 Something said...

close but no cigar Arlene, bikini refers to the top and bottom, they have bikini bottoms or pants, sort of like underwear, the answer is thong, so you were not far off

Nola said...

Once again...a wonderful, thought provoking read. How I wish I had the carefree days of my two cats! Or my two dogs for that matter! I could hang my head out the car window and slobber down the door while thoroughly enjoying the moment, sleep when the mood struck me....be stupid, inquisitive, lazy, energetic...all without guilt!!

ArleneWKW said...

TTM: Thong = an item that I may or may not wear in a future life if there is one and I come back as a slimmer and more fit than I have ever been.

Nola: I'm delighted to know that you read and liked my post. I thoroughly enjoy what you write. Getting past the guilt of carefree days was a challenge for me.

Lorraine said...

Oh so very true, great post, I love the rythm of it, there's something philosophical that I enjoy a lot. Not to mention my incredible love for cats, they are more spiritual than people think ;)
I lose so many things...I interrupted my blog on sunrise today because of a loss lol

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I'm pleased that you like the rhythm of this post. Usually I edit my stuff. This was purely stream of consciousness. I'm wondering what you lost at sunrise.

ashok said...

a lively blog..

http://ashok-discoverindia.blogspot.com/

Lorraine said...

LOL only the photo I had posted...not a bit loss ;)

ArleneWKW said...

Ashok: Thanks for visiting my blog.

Lorraine: but still a loss 'cause I love your photos.

Lorraine said...

here it is Arlene, I hope I keep it on long enough for you to comment lol if you want to:
http://wantingtoloseweightl.blogspot.com/