Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Eight Months From Now

Instead of focusing on an "auspicious" start date when I would vigorously begin a weight loss program from which I'd never ever stray (except, occasionally in moderation), I've been looking ahead eight months and asking myself where I will be with my long lapse of self discipline. What comes to mind is an image of myself like this one, taken in Barcelona on May 25, 2006. I was in the low 160's then and headed back down, I thought, to the weight that I'd finally reached three years earlier, 127 pounds. Eighteen months before that I'd weighed 197 pounds.

I began my return to the land of big-size from that of size ten petite with a party week-end in Arizona shortly after getting a pound and a half below my goal weight. Throughout the entire time that I was getting rid of the 65 lbs., I'd never once cheated nor had the temptation to do so. Sticking with a healthful eating program had been easy for me. In Arizona, my food choices were pretty much limited to tortilla chips or potato chips. I had no access to transportation (which is mostly true; I'm painting this with broad brush strokes.) I took a vacation from healthful eating and vacationing became my lifestyle. When life presented its challenges, I went on vacation. I began this blog with the title "Onwards, Getting Rid of the Regain" on 9/29/05 at 185 pounds. The last time I weighed myself, the scale read 203.5 lbs., .5 pounds less than my most recent high. When my weight began its long climb upward, even to the point at which I first began this blog, I was pleased that I wasn't one of the many who would talk about regaining their weight "with a bonus." Now I can't even claim that success. I've struggled with my various regains from the beginning, the first five pounds and five pounds beyond that, then fifty pounds and more, much more. I've re-lost and regained mountains of fat. I'm glad that I've kept up the struggle. If I hadn't, I might be up a hundred pounds from where I am now. Or maybe not. Perhaps I would have avoided the binges that have been so much a part of my weight gain if I'd accepted the numbers somewhere along the line. In any case, I'm not willing to accept 203.5 lbs. And I'll deal with the downscale numbers when I reach them. And I will reach them.

I've realized that reading the blogs of my on-line friends inspires me whether they are succeeding in their struggles with weight or whether they are going through a difficult patch. In the first case, they provide a positive example. I want to show them (hi Annette) that I too can succeed. In the second case, they give me strength by validating for me how difficult it can be to get back on track once veering so far away from it. I want to be their positive example. I want to be one of the people who don't give up and ultimately succeed. My on-line friends who either don't share this challenge or write about it rarely are also sources of inspiration. They allow me to function in this loose community as a full human being. My current blob-like state along with the lack of self discipline which produced it only a partial defines me.

The last successful time around, when I went from 192 lbs. to 127 lbs., the image that helped me get there came from a dream. For a reason that I can no longer remember, the powerful symbol of this was a red triangle. Along each of its lines was a different word and the words were Fat, Stupid, and Undisciplined. This was the first impression that I believed my bulging self made on people who didn't know me. In my dream, the sun enveloped me in golden light and I knew that the time had come when I would succeed in getting rid of the weight. All I had to do was "stick with the program and the weight would take care of itself." It was it this point that I joined Weight Watchers.

I'm not up for a WW rejoin right now. I'm not up for counting points or even doing the current core program. This may change, but I'm not up for it now. But the image of eight months is a compelling one. I'm thinking of a swimming pool now. I'm thinking that I might be able to swim clear across the pool to the eight months side. On my own.

I want to end this post here. The end. But I wrote one more paragraph and have decided to include it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I like the sound of my own words.

Or maybe not. Eight months might be the side of the pool. Holding on to it may keep me from going under, but I may need the discipline of a structured program to get myself moving to the other side. As a metaphor, this all falls apart; at my current weight, I'm my own flotation device. But I can't dive in just now. I'd hit my head against the cement sides of the pool.

I'll get a sense of which version is true in the weeks ahead.

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

I hear you and join you there...I love eating, I love food. It's pleasure that I could keep in balance when I worked. I loved working and I had my son who depended on me so keeping at a light weight was easy because of the passion I felt for my work. I can't work anymore, and I don't have much that gives me pleasure, but food does. It's a real battle between having at least something I enjoy or being able to wear and be comfortable in my skin. My solution most of the time, so that I don't eat, I'll go to bed at 3 pm if I have too. But Life is harsh sometimes and I'm convinced that I want to deprive myself for even one minute. I have a pretty good idea of your struggle, and if I way a way around my 'refusal to give up this one pleasure I have left' I'm gonna share it. Part of me wants to be brave like you and put if up on a blog...but I can't, well for now. So I'll drop in and sympathise and hope for you, something that I'm unable to do. And I wonder if I'll delete this before I'm done...I should hurry and save before I change my mind ;)

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I'm glad you didn't delete it. I value your comments.

laughingwolf said...

i was told by my gp to cut out as much refined foods as possible, mostly the 'white stuff', sugar, flour, margarine, etc... add fiber to most things, and just walk a good 1/2 hour a day, at a brisk, not deadly, pace...

he has type 2 diabetes, follows that regimen, walking 25 km/week, and has lost 102 pounds... never saw him looking so good

Lorraine said...

I don't know what happen to my comment, but here is the new blog...thanxs
http://wantingtoloseweightl.blogspot.com/

Mick & Cathy said...

Think the problems with yoyo dieting is a problem we all seem to face. We have our good runs where we stay disciplined in our food intake regime but a lapse of a short period can ruin weeks & months of good work.

new*me said...

I think the fact that you have put so much thought into the process is the first step and a sure way to succeed :)

laughingwolf said...

lor, that link's dead :(

Lorraine said...

How are you? miss your writing...hope Christmas Feelings are good and happy for you..
Take care Arlene
(didn't keep the blog after all, but I still have my stuff, and added a new one called Stuff and Cats...and you can imagine lol)

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Thanks for continuing to check up on me. I haven't been doing well with the weight challenge and have been busy with stuff + I've been experiencing my usual Nov./Dec. melancholy. I like that you miss my writing + will check out your new blog soon. I appreciate you.

Laughingwolf: If only my mind could rule in this instead of my impulses and my lack of discipline to ignore them.

Mick: You assess the situation accurately. If only I could get out of this pattern for a long enough span of time, 3 -5 weeks, I'd be okay. And I will, but don't know when.

Annette: Yup, I put much thought into the process, but . . . Some day I will get back in control.

Nona said...

Gosh ... I could easily have written this post. I relate :( need I say more :)

{{{Hugs}}}

ArleneWKW said...

Hugs back to you Nona. Thanks for your comment.