Saturday, December 20, 2008

Santa Arlene Among Her Peers

The last few weeks have been defined by busyness, the march of the Santas, my usual seasonal melancholy, and a cold with resulting lethargy followed by a self imposed forced march to productivity. This last of these had me hard at work in my garage today, an elf in her workshop, with the garage door open despite the chill weather so that I wouldn't miss the mailman to whom I wanted to directly give my Christmas cards (having finished with them after the posted pick up time at the closest mail box. I wondered about the effect of the cold weather on my sickness, decided that "you can catch a cold from cold weather" is an "old wive's tale" (and not the most knowledgeable of old wives at that), and turned the portable heater to its highest setting. I'm hoping that my sickness will pass in time for me to attend the family Christmas celebration that is the occassion that had me playing Santa's elf in the garage.

But it is not Santa's elf, but Santa himself, that is my primary identity. The pictures below were taken in San Francisco last Saturday. The lovely reindeer who appears in three of these pictures is my daughter, Rachael. The great fun for me is the joyful silliness of the whole thing, the merriment of playing with other Santas, and coming up to perfect strangers, asking them if they've been good or bad, having them actually answer, and giving them a Santa gift. Behind the personna of Santa, I gain a freedom to easily connect with my fellow human being and find most of them enjoy that unexpected connection. I also gift the cops and talk with them. The not-that-well- hidden presence of alcohol is their chief concern. Between two flasks of Jim Beam, numerous bar stops, and friendly sharings from my fellow Santas and other assorted characters of the season, I managed to maintain the optimum level of non-sobriety throughout, in love with the world and not barfing on it. The police were actually very cool in dealing with our raucous crowd, staying at the periphery, available in case things got enough out of hand to require their intervention. The surprises this year included a full on snow fight at one park, a bouncie house at another, and milk and cookies somewhere else. What a wonderful life it is being one of many Santas.




8 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh Santa Arlene, you look so beautiful what a great, fun post, I love it...Take care of your health too sweetie ;)

Kathy said...

That sounds like so much fun! And thanks for your comment. I'm trying so hard to "live in the moment" and really concentrate on what and how much I'm eating. It is so darned easy to get distracted and gulp it down without taking real pleasure in it. Have a Merry Christmas, Arlene!

Mick & Cathy said...

Funny how all them Santa's managed to find a bar, lol.

Have a great Christmas.

laughingwolf said...

season's blessings to you and yours :D

Nola said...

Love your photos Arlene! It is a shame that we feel a costume is necessary to speak to strangers!!...however, sometimes, like you mentioned in your previous post...it takes a costume to cover our "red triangle" sometimes:)

Nona said...

I hope you did feel well enough to play Santa. Looks like a raucous good time.

Happy New Year!!!

Lorraine said...

Just to say Hi, I miss you and Have a great, great new Year's day x

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: As always, I appreciate your comments. Your last comment motivated me to write today's post.

Kathy: I need to reread your "live in the moment" post. I've been highly undisciplined this holiday season. I have lots of good excuses, but the scale doesn't care. Thanks for your comment.

Mick: Some of the bars really appreciate our massive appearance. Others find us a pain in the britches despite the number of coins that find their way into their cash registers.

Laughingwolf: Thank you and right back at you. May 2009 be all around great.

Nola: Tis true what you say about the costumes. I've found that my extroversion has been increased (or my introversion decreased) by such activities as playing Santa.

Nona: I'm glad I got to play Santa the Saturday before Christmas 'cause my cold had me couch bound on Christmas day. Drat!!!