Friday, November 7, 2008

Self Discipline, Self Regard, Self Indulgence, and Sloth

I'm either stuck right now or finding my way to some sanity in my relationship with food. I'm not up for counting points or record keeping of any type. Undeterred by lack of success with this in the past, I'm now trying to "just" make good decisions with regard to what I eat. This is easier to do when I'm alert and busy than when I'm tired and glued to the family room couch. I've returned to the strategy of keeping good-for-you foods that I enjoy eating on hand. These include ones that I can eat in any amount and ones with which I have to be far more careful. In the first category, I currently have steamed rutabagas, winter squash, and broccoli in the refrigerator along with fresh veggies and fruit. In the second category, I have yogurt and cheeses in the refrigerator and WW ice cream in the freezer. I also have candy on hand. W H A T ? ? ? It's occurred to me that sometimes when I want something sweet, I keep trying to satisfy this desire in ways that don't satisfy and then continue with a still unsatisfying binge. So I'm trying to short circuit the process with one or two little squares of Hershey's dark chocolate. At about 15 calories a square, I'm not doing myself any damage unless I start getting into insatiability. I have a vested interest in stopping myself at two squares. If I end up eating the whole chocolate bar, I'll have shown myself that I can't self moderate. We'll see how this goes.

As to getting the exercise that I need to be healthy and get rid of the lbs., I've been filled with that with which the road to hell has been paved, good intentions. I read the blogs of my on-line friends and resolve to get on my elliptical cross trainer. I have no excuse; it's right behind me as I type this and I enjoy working out on it. E N J O Y ! ! ! Really. Yet even now, as I type this at 5:42 p.m., I know that I'll end another day without any significant exercise. I'd thought of ending this post with promises to myself to do better. Naaaaaah. I'll know that I'm doing better if I find myself on the elliptical or on the park trails that are so close to where I live. My moment by moment decisions will tell the story of who I am in relationship to self discipline and self regard on the one hand and self indulgence and sloth on the other.

14 comments:

Kathy said...

I think trying to bargain with myself is usually just a fool's game. The truth is, I'm not really that fond of most candy, but I will eat it anytime I have it in the house. Stupid...just stupid!

Lorraine said...

Oh I can relate...that's the thing, if you don't eat what you really want to eat, you end up eating a lot more. On the other hand, if you eat what you want, good luck sticking to one or two... it's harsh isn't it? The only way I will do my exercise (which is jogging for 30 minutes, inside the house , never out, and with only socks...I can't run with running shoes) is if I do it, after my 3 coffees in the morning. At least I find that I'm not gaining (much)... so hard...isn't it? I'm trying out EFT again (which is emotional Freedom technique, which is tapping on some points on your body) but I resist, I don't know why, 'cause the few times I did it, it controlled my cravings and overeating and yet I resist....

new*me said...

It's hard to get started. For me it helped to get all the unhealthy stuff out of the house and restock with healthy. I had to do the "all the way" mentality the first 2 months till I could see results and let my resolve get stronger. Now I can allow some dangerous things in now and not go too crazy ;)

Unknown said...

Food in some ways is the bane of western civilization...:-)

Moby Dick said...

I think that glass cutting and the painted glass is really cool. I have gotten a couple of those kits for my daughter (plastic) and she has made some really nice things!

As far as exercise is concerned, you are dealing with a mental block. Your expectations are too high and you have primed yourself for failure. The best way to undo this is to decide to do 5 minutes on the elliptical every day and to feel good about that.

Do 5 minutes for one month. If you can do 30 days in a row, then go up to 10 minutes. The trick is to find the amount at which you enjoy the exercise without feeling tired. When you do something to the point where you get a negative charge later, then you won't do it any more. So you have to find your positive point and stick to that.

Mick & Cathy said...

I think the thing about regular exercise is that you set yourself daily targets. However the initial mistake is for people to overdo it, then that creates hunger & the usual effect is gorging ourselves,
Of course that defeats the object of what we are trying to achieve.

So I think the idea of initially stting low easy to achieve physical targets and increasing them over a period is the way to go. Its important that the balance between Food intake & exercise is achieved.

Kathy said...

I went straight to the internet site for Good Earth and ordered a variety pack! Thankee!!!

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Arlene. I am the world's worst when it comes to motivating myself to do something to lose weight! When my friend, Glenna, still lived here, we used to go walking all the time, usually about 2 miles at a time. When she visited last week, we got out and walked again, in the rain at 1:00 in the morning! We probably only got a mile in, but, it's a start. I don't have anybody to walk with any more. Glenna is in Alaska, and Nila lives out in the country. As for eating properly, that's a lost cause for me.
TTYL
Lisa

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Arlene. I know I've already commented on this post, but I just stopped by again to say, Tag, you'reit! See my blog for details.
Love Ya
Lisa

laughingwolf said...

raw fruit/vegetables, fresh juices of same, and anything with fiber, are supposed to be good ways to feel 'full'

Cory said...

I can totally relate with you.

Hope you are doing well!

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: Thanks for your comments. I hope you like the Good Earth tea. Rereading your comment now, I want some now.

Lorraine: I've got to investigate EFT one of these days. Re. resisting something that you KNOW works, I have a similar tale with regard to the use of Affirmations.

Annette: You are doing sooo great. I should go to your blog daily to remind myself of your success as a way to reinspire myself.

Paul: Thanks for visiting my blog.

Al: You are right. I tend to want to go for 80+ minutes or not at all. At this point, I'm okay with just doing 20 or 30 minutes, but then find the old excuse, that I don't have the time. I should be willing to do just 5 minutes a day.

Mick: My comment to Al also applies to you. The idea of daily targets is a good one.

Lisa: Unfortunately we are both currently members of the physical unfitness club. Maybe we'll both find a way to unenroll. I'll take up your tag at some point. Lately I just haven't been in the mood to blog. Other distractions are distracting me.

Laughingwolf: And I like fruit and veggies. And yet . . .

Cory: I'm glad to see that you're back in the blogosphere.

Nona said...

I couldn't have said it better in relation to myself. Why is it sooooooo hard?

Lorraine said...

You have guts my dear, today I'm going to creat a Size 16 blog, which is what I am now. Since all my life I've been a size 9...I don't know how to deal...I especially don't like sharing...But hey if you have the guts to do it, I should too...I'll let you know when it's up...then we can truly share angst and frustration ;)