Thursday, July 17, 2008

Whatchathink?

Lorraine posted a comment on my July 16th blog that I've been thinking about since I read it. In it, among other things, she wrote:

"It's difficult to associate men of visions with a bent towards killing animals making them suffer needlessly. All I know is that we can't judge, and yet...The one thing that throws me off balance really throws me totally off, was that Hitler, who perpuated such monstruous inhumane acts upon humanity was a great animal lover and a vegetarian..."

I responded to what she wrote in the comment page for that blog. Now I'm wondering about the response others might have to the question: What is the relationship between how one thinks about and treats animals to the way one thinks about and treats humans.

Kathy also made an interesting comment to which I've responded in the comment page for that blog. In it, among other things, she wrote:

"I don't understand the allure of watching animals die either...maybe it is something nature has put into the mind heart of men so that they will be the hunters and protectors of the
species??? ."

Whatchathink?

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Females are the nurturers of the species and our response to babies and baby-like creatures...such as small, cute animals with big eyes and innocent bearings...is hard-wired into us. Maybe testosterone really does make men less likely to respond to those cues.

Lorraine said...

Hey Arlene, Again a very thought- provoking post. Thanks for bringing up my comment, I'd love to see what others think about this. Personaly, I care about human beings and I care about animals. I can't say that I care more for animals than I do for humans, but animals are so much more vulnerable (notwithstanding, of course, babies, children, etc.) They are hunted, experimented on, beaten, and it's horrible that any being with a conscience could perpetuate these acts...Then you have Hitler...That I simply can't get around!
If ever you want to read a book that is absolutely mind boggling about animals and their souls, look up Daniel Meurois (or Daniel Meurois-Givaudan) it will greatly touch you.

laughingwolf said...

this i add to the confusion:

while i was living in vancouver, bc, a local 'artist' told the 'news media' in a week's time he would 'crush a mouse on a canvas with a cinder block, live, for all to see', then mount the canvas as a 'work of art'

the 'animal rights' groups all threatened to KILL HIM, once they found out where he lived

neither event took place, as he fled the area

from wherever he went, he said he was seeking publicity and would not have hurt the mouse... the 'rights' groups response: if they found him, they'd kill him, anyway

makes one wonder....

Janice Thomson said...

Hi Arlene - have enjoyed browsing through your blogs :) Thank you also for your wonderful comments.

In response to your question I would say this: as long as the sport of hunting and fishing is acceptable and as long as we butcher animals for our perverse palettes then so long will we have the likes of people like Hitler who is at the same time an animal lover yet a murderer of people. That being said there are other factors like genetics, karma etc that play a part too in a person's makeup. This question requires a deep philosophical understanding of man; why he has 'good' and 'bad' traits, his history throughout the ages and
his purpose for being here.
Just a few thoughts to add to the mix :)