Monday, July 21, 2008

This Is Not About Politics


At this point, I don't know how easy it is to read these messages on white paper. I imagine that clicking on the image will bring the words into better focus.

This is a solicitation letter from one of our Presidential candidates. I switched parties to be able to vote for this man in the primaries. I sent him a donation at the time. Even then, I wasn't sure whether I'd vote for him or the eventual candidate of my party.

The first line of this solicitation letter is as follows:
I want you to know that I don't take sending you this $1 bill lightly.
The candidate goes on to say:
Today I need you to send this $1 bill back to me along with $400 or $300 of your own to help our campaign take the next crucial steps in this pivotal presidential election.

This is not the first time that I've received money from an organization in the hopes that I'll contribute an even larger sum. One of the animal rights organization to which I've never contributed has sent me at least three dimes in three separate mailings over the years. I've tossed these dimes into a bag in which I keep my spare change.

I get a lot of solicitations from animal groups each day. Some of them come with gruesome pictures of abused animals. I try to avoid looking at these pictures when I shred them. I contribute to ten organizations that help animals in one way or another. I maintain a chart with the amount that I intend to contribute, along with whether the contribution is monthly, quarterly, or yearly. The chart was an act of self defense against all the worthy animal causes that come pleading for financial help.

Many of these organizations send me gifts to make feel obligated to send a donation. I particularly dislike receiving address labels. I use scissors to cut them up because they'll gum up my shredder. Unless I live well beyond the century mark, I'm unlikely to exhaust my current supply of these labels.

Sometimes I contribute to causes that are not animal related. In January 2005, I sent a donation to CARE to help the victims of the tsunami in Phuket, Thailand. They sent me a thank you note along with a form to sign if I did not want to receive future donation requests. I signed and mailed the form. I continue to receive their solicitations at least once a month.

I get a request for more money from the Presidential candidate just about every day; sometimes two arrive on the same day. This does not include the e-mails that his organization sends me.

I notice that the candidate addressed me as "Arlene" in the note that accompanied the $1 bill. At the bottom of an autographed photo of him and his wife that I received a few days earlier, he wrote, "Dear Mrs. (last name), Thank you for everything you do for our Party and our country." He and his wife signed with only their first names as if they are subordinate to me. I guess the candidate thinks that sending me money puts us both on a first name basis.

I wonder if this dollar bill is a test of sorts. Maybe if I don't send the money back to him it will be a clear signal to stop wasting the resources expended on trying to get cash from me. I also wonder how many people are getting these dollars. Certainly, the candidate has sent out more dollars than I originally gave him.

In the second paragraph of the note that accompanied $1, the candidate allowed for the chance that I might not return the dollar to him. "But I'm willing to take that risk," he wrote, "because after all that we've been through together in this historic campaign, I believe I can count on you." I hope his beliefs about how to run a country are more reality based.

It may be the case that this is not the last letter that I will receive from the candidate. I'm wondering if the next one will include a $5 bill. How much money will he be willing to send me?
And wouldn't it be funny if I end up contributing to the candidate running against him.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also get some of those animal charity letters... including gifts. Very annoying. I simply don't like to be prompted to donate/subscribe to anything.. I chose to do so when and if I feel like it.

Janice Thomson said...

KCTS TV (public broadcasting)does the same thing - you donate once and you're on their list for a lifetime it seems. To me if I have forgotten to donate then the reason for doing so in the first place must not be as important now or surely I'd remember. To be hounded like that is a real turn off, no matter who the organization, and speaks volumes about the organizers.

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

I have no use for politics or politicians. That letter is proof positive that they are all crooks! Keep the dollar and to heck with him!
Lisa

Mick & Cathy said...

Well that the first time I've heard of them sending money out, don't think it happens over here. We do get plenty of begging letters though the favorite been to send us raffle/lottery tickets to sell in a good cause.
If i were you I would just keep the dollar and certainly not feel guilty.
As for addressed envelopes just send them back empty with no stamp, they'll get the message.
I'm not against giving to charities it just aggravates me if when they try pressure you, I much prefer to give directly to local charities (Hospital, Childrens home, etc) when I'm confident my money reaches is intended place.

laughingwolf said...

what's that line about a fool and his money...?

ArleneWKW said...

Daniele: It really is about choosing to do it when one feels like it.

Janice: It does reflect badly on the organizers and, in the case of a political candidate, on him for not doing a better job of overseeing the organization.

Lisa: Oh, for sure on keeping the dollar. And I do think less of the candidate for getting behind such a fund raising attempt.

Mick: Local is an excellent way to go. After all, if the local population doesn't support it's local causes, who will do so?

Laughingwolf: Right on.

Kim Ayres said...

Giving away free money? Hey, I'd sign up to ALL the political parties, then complain I didn't get the letter and they should send me another.

And then get my dog to sign up.

Hang on, I don't have a dog. Note to self: buy dog

Then, the cat (note to self: buy cat)

Then the goldfish (note to self: buy goldfish)

Hmm, the pet food bills alone will outweigh the measly $1 bills. Maybe I need to rethink this strategy...

new*me said...

everytime I see your pic, you remind me of the Kindergarten teacher here....honestly, you could be twins.....and she's a sweetie too!

ArleneWKW said...

Kim: I enjoy your comments. These ones had me laughing out loud.

Annette: Thank you. I'd like to meet my various twins. It would be fun to see how much we resembled each other.

Lorraine said...

Great, great text Arlene, I've made my peace with these hummm request for donation. 1) I don't vote, makes no difference (to me) who's running my country (Canada) 'cause having worked for different parties (minister) throughout my career, I know there's no difference at all. I keep everything everyone sends me, I donate to animal organizations when i can. I keep all the address labels whether I donate or not (I used to throw them out, but then I changed my mind) Weird how easy I find it is to say: No!

Lorraine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nona said...

What I want to know is how I can sign up for some of those dollar bills in the mail...actually do you think I can request that I get my money in pounds?

Thanks for dropping by my blog. No I don't find your questions nosey at all. I am open to most questions. I teach photographic arts at a college in London but my studio work consists mostly of mixed media panels and artists books.

Cheers!!!

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I enjoy your comments. Perhaps, with a parliamentary system, your vote seems less important. I think a good many Americans think that situations in the U.S. and beyond would have been far different if Gore or Kerry were in the White House than The Current Occupant. As to the November election, I think both the major Presidential candidates have strong assets and important deficits. I think that there are substantial difference in the choices either would make as Pres.

Nona: Having fallen in love with my digital camera, I think I'd find your classes very interesting.

Moby Dick said...

Imagine if he sent naked photos and requested $50? Now that would really knock you off your chair!

ArleneWKW said...

Spider: It may indeed. And if I told you whether I'd puke or stare a while, you'd know exactly which candidate I'd written about