Monday, May 26, 2008

Week Three - Grumpy, But Getting Rid of the Lbs.

The WW scale showed that I'd gotten rid of another 1.2 lbs. on Thursday night (5/22). I felt grumpy following the meeting.

I laid the seeds for grumpiness the night before when I stayed up into the wee hours of the night. As a result, after morning errands, I fell into a deep sleep. I woke up a half hour before the meeting was scheduled to begin.

My first jolt into Grumpsville was that I couldn't find my Weight Watcher book, the one in which weight progress is recorded. I'd taken it out of my purse during the week and put it on my desk in the project room. I am a hyper neat person. On my desk are small piles of paper, pretty much sorted into categories, ie. bills to be paid. I have paperweights on top of each pile. After much frantic searching, there and elsewhere, I could only conclude that the WW book had disappeared into thin air. The following day, I observed the same phenomenon with a sample menu that I had taken from a restaurant. I had put the menu under the brass lamp on my desk. When I went to get it, I discovered that it had also apparently popped into non-existence. On Sunday, it was a couple of carrots that did the disappearing act. There are four possibilities as to what may be happening: (1) an evil leprechaun is toying with my mind; or (2) my husband is gas-lighting me (trying to drive me crazy); or (3) senility has taken hold; or (4) matter and anti-matter are colliding with the result that ordinary items are regularly disappearing.

But I've digressed. The disappearance of and search for my WW book gobbled up the minutes that I could have been using to walk to the WW meeting. Instead, I needed to take my car.

My second jolt into Grumpsville occurred when I was parking my car. A pole of medium height stood at the front of the parking space. I naturally assumed that there would be a concrete block right before that pole to keep one from driving right into it. Of course, any sentence that begins with "I naturally assumed . . " has to end with the natural assumption being also a very stupid assumption. As it turned out, there was no concrete block and, though I was barely creeping forward, my car lightly tapped the stupid pole. And it left scratches on the front of my car. And a bit of yellow paint.

The absence of our regular lecturer and also our regular clerk was another jolt, though a slight one. I had been looking forward to reporting my new found discipline with the elliptical when the lecturer asked about any changes we'd made as a follow-up to the previous week's lecture. The substitute lecturer asked no such questions. I didn't get to brag.

My final jolt was being told by the woman who I sat next to that she was saving the seat for a friend. A small matter really, but I had chosen to sit there as a challenge to myself to be more outgoing. I can all too easily play the hermit. In any case, the woman fully ratified my grumpiness.

My challenge this week has been with some bouts of hunger. Veggies can solve this easily, but sometimes I don't want veggies. I've gone over my alloted points for a few days, but I'm still hanging in there. I may get rid of less weight because of exceeding my optimum calorie count; perhaps my current weight will even be unchanged, or (perish the thought) my weight may be slightly up. I'll only be weighing in on Thursday night instead of staying for the WW meeting because my daughter, Rachael, and her boyfriend will be coming up from Monterey for a Thursday and Friday visit. I think it's important that I leave them briefly to get an "official" weigh-in.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Oh wow Arlene! Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You are doing really well.
I hope that evil leprechaun behaves and stops hiding things!

:-)