Friday, May 9, 2008

Week One - Onwards with Success

I got rid of 2.2 lbs. this week. It was a week that included an over-night stay in a hotel on Monday followed the next day by Matt's final (hopefully) spinal operation. I came prepared with food + attitude. We had dinner at the hotel. I chose broiled salmon and substituted a salad for the rice and (buttered) vegetables. I brought my own salad dressing. For breakfast I had my usual at home morning meal, a block of previously frozen oatmeal made with non-fat milk, raisins and stevia; thankfully the hotel room had a small microwave oven. My lunch, also from home, consisted of carrots, soy cheese, and a 120 calorie baguette from Trader Joes. Later, at night at home, I "binged" on carrots, a zero point food item under the new Weight Watcher plan.

Yesterday (Thursday) evening, I walked to my WW meeting. I'd been eating carrots and slamming down the coffee prior to the meeting. My weight on the WW scale reflects this. I've pretty much adopted the attitude that my job is to follow the program and the numbers will take care of themselves. My behavior at home following the meeting suggests that, despite this attitude, I was disappointed that the scale didn't proclaim a larger loss. This disappointment is totally illogical. It is the long term that matters, not the week by week showings on the scale. If eating carrots upped the number on the scale, it is truly a matter of no importance. I don't take my shoes off or dress more (or less) skimpily to play the numbers game at the scale. Even so, even as I deny feelings of disappointment, I was (am) disappointed (illogically so). The way I handled food upon my return home shows me my (denied) disappointment. Still full from dinner and even more so from the fruit I'd had for dessert, I went on to have a half cup of gelato (140 calories) followed by a serving of the oatmeal (about 300 calories) I'd described earlier. Even so, I was still "on program." I had enough extra points to do this "legally."

So . . . I've had a successful first week. I'm going to notch up the exercise this week (and I'm not going to worry about how many carrots I do or don't eat).

2 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

You still moved forward and that's great.

The battle isn't really with the weight, it's with staying on track. The weight is only the consequence of the battle

Half Man said...

You did great! You are going in the right direction with your eating and exercise. Good for you for not trying to manipulate the your weigh ins. I struggle with putting the number on the scale in proper perspective. I know how I should look at it mentally, but emotionally it affects me. Just keep in mind that you are healthier and more fit than you were last week.