Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sometimes It's Enough To Just Be An Observer

This past Saturday, November 20th, I attended the Autumnal Gathering, a fundraiser for the Black Rock Arts Foundation, an organization that grew out of Burning Man. As stated on its home page, its mission is to "is to support and promote community, interactive art and civic participation."

Burning Man is all about participation. My experience at this fundraiser was almost entirely about observation (not withstanding "the observer effect" whereby the observing presence impacts that which is being observed). Sometimes it is quite enough - and quite enjoyable - to just be an observer.

(Eight of the 17 photos in this post include"entertainers." The other 9 are just plain folks.)































































































4 comments:

Lorraine said...

It's wonderful Arlene, what great photos, that's how I love to see people, through photos, to this day, no matter how good i feel, being around people suffocates me, Iwish I knew why

Kathy said...

I am an observer too. I love people watching and am easily entertained! My favorite people to watch? The grandkids! We are constantly wondering what kind of people are going to emerge out of those little critters! They are not as exotic as your little group...not yet, at least! lol
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving all planned out!

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine - Thanks as always got your nice words. I can understand your feelings about being around people. Although I enjoy being around people with whom I easily relate - not everybody - I have a strong need for solitude.

Kathy - I certainly enjoy seeing Maddie and am fascinated by hoe she transitions from stage to stage. I'm also enjoying seeing my kidlets as they've become competent responsible adults and, especially with Rachael, my friend.

Timoteo said...

Now THAT'S an interesting looking bunch.