Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Maddie Visit

On November 6th, my entire family made the two hour drive to my house for the first time in a very long time. Maddie, now three, was less than a year old the last time she visited. My pack rat tendency had me well prepared for this visit.

Among the things that I have saved over the years has been empty litter containers. I brought these up from under the house. Gari dusted them off and created a fort. Thinking of the multiple ways in which Maddie could play with the various container tops that I have saved over the years, I put out larger containers into which she could throw them. I also created a pinwheel design with some of them, an example I thought of something that she could do. I e-mailed photos of these treasures to Ben so that he could share them with Maddie before the visit. He told me that Maddie was very excited after she saw the pictures.

I seem to have forgotten how it was with my own children when they were growing up and I seem to no longer remember what I learned about child development (if I ever learned it) because Maddie's visit was an education (as well as a delight).

The first thing Maddie did when she arrived was to run to the blue crayon. "It's a big blue crayon, " she said. "What's it's name?"

"It doesn't have a name Maddie. Can you give it a name?" She did not respond.

A few minutes passed after this and then again, "What's it's name?" and "Can you give it a name?" by various other people.

Maddie didn't seem to understand that she can name things. Perhaps for her the names of things are absolutes.

Maddie seemed to enjoy all the toys, but she was far more drawn to the real ones and (especially) to the letters, stickers, and jacks than to the trove of container tops and empty litter containers than I would have expected.

Her orientation seems to be with real things as they really are. Container tops are fun to throw in the air, but they remain container tops for her not objects of potential creativity.

It seems as if the play of imagination is of disinterest to Maddie or possibly beyond her comprehension. She is interested in learning about the world as it is. The world of fantasy is probably very real to Maddie. She loves Dora the Explorer, the cartoon figure whose videos she watches over and over. When Dora the Explorer came to Maddie's birthday party in the form of a young woman who dresses and plays the part, Maddie seemed puzzled and sometimes distressed. Later, she said that the young woman was "Teacher Dora," thus keeping the "real" Dora undisturbed.

I'm fascinated by all this and also realize that I'm extrapolating a lot from a few isolated incidents. It is different with Maddie than it was with my own children. Weeks and sometimes months pass between our visits. I am in awe and fascinated by her development into the person that she is becoming.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

All of my grandchildren differ in their preferences for play. They all seem to gravitate to anything on the computer though. And books! They all love books.

Lorraine said...

Oh Arlene, she's a little beauty...takes after her aunt, wants to know the world...beautiful

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: Intteresting. You certainly have more perspective on the grandikidlet thing than I do. Are the differences as pronounced for the triplets? Within the next months, Life willing, I will have my second grandchild, a grandson.

Lorraine : Thank you. My granddaughter is a sweetie.

ArleneWKW said...

I meant within the next month. William is due end of Nov. or early Dec.

Kathy said...

Xander loves to study animals and wants to be a cryptozologist...whatever that is! Teagan loves animals but wants to be a vet so she can care for them. And Morrigan loves animals but enjoys reading, math, and anything artsy-fartsy even more! They all love books and devour them. When we've had occasion to drive them from one spot to another, we just hand them each a book and we never hear a peep from them! Amazing for nine years old!

ArleneWKW said...

What a joy that all your grandkidlets enjoy reading. I'm betting that someone or many someones have been reading to them since they were itty bitty babes.

I'm glad they love critters too. That's highly smile-making.