Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bottom of the Barrel Thrift Shops



The pix this time are clickable, partly because I wanted viewers to be able to see the detail, partly because I'm feeling too lazy to reduce them.

I scored large on Thursday's excursion to the downest and dirtiest of the thrift shops. My friend, Linda, and I first set our sights on The Dump, literally. My prizes there, for 25 cents, were the stuffed mouse and the webbed something at the top left of the photo, not such a bargain when the cost of gas to get to this out-of-the-way disposal site is added in. My much larger prize was all of the other stuff on the table, some of it under other stuff, which I got at the bottom of the barrel Goodwill, the place where stuff that hasn't been sold at the regular Goodwill stores goes. My prizes included toys for Maddie and stuff that I'll use to make other stuff. Also some very nice placemats and a strainer (unseen). The purchase price for the whole pile was $4.

Did I mention the stones and glass? They, like the stuffed animals, are on the placemats that I found there. Linda had told me that the sales clerks often make a flat fee offer rather than pricing items individually so, when I saw the stones and glass, I just threw them into the box that I was using. I find it absolutely invigorating to discover these marvelous virtually free treasures. Perhaps it is the pirate in me that so enjoys these finds. I am a pirate and also a recycler.

After Linda and I parted, I scored this book at one of the nicer thrift shops. At $1.25, it certainly is a bargain. Compared to my $4 piracy though, it's outrageously over-priced. I purchased the hat on Wednesday at a rather pricey thrift/consignment shop. At $12, it cost more than twice as much as all these other purchases. The people who bring their stuff for this shop to sell get 40% of the proceeds and the shop gets 60%. I'll keep it in mind for the times when I need to get rid of clothes that have gotten too big for me. I've been on low cal track for a week and a half and am feeling resolutely optimistic. The biggest score of all, unbeatable I imagine, is the freebie that Rachael found for me at Deborah's semi-annual clothing exchange. The shawl/jacket (pictured at the beginning of this post) has a certain flair to it. It's not something I'd buy in a regular store at a regular price, but I like it a lot.

After thrift shopping on Thursday, I made a brief stop at Macy's. I bought the sleep socks and regular socks that were on my list and a warm sweater that was not. The socks were on sale with an additional $15 off for using my Macy's card. The sweater was 50% off with an additional 20% off for using my Macy's card. I did well, but was without the thrill of piracy. Aye, it's good to be a pirate.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

I love thrift shopping...the stuff you found is amazing...what a thrill, you are so pretty, you have gorgeous green eyes, and I love your hair lol and that first photo is incredible, I would have bought the puncho, and taken so many photos of it, with the kittens lol

would you believe the Wverfication is VERWOOF lol

Kathy said...

I'm with Lorraine...my first thought was how green your eyes are and how we share silver hair! Love a bargain and taking everything back to my place and putting it in its new home! How brave you are going low-carb just before Christmas...and just before I was getting ready to offer to send you some of our homemade marshmallows!

40 Something said...

I went with friends to a bar trivia night last week and one category was 1st ladies, we could have used your book, have a great holiday season

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Thank you so much for your very nice compliment. Funny word verification. My maiden name was Wolff. Once I ver a woof, but not a verwoof. I've kept the name as a middle name and Wolff is the middle name of my kidlets.

Kathy: I didn't know that I had green eyes until Rachael called me Green Eyes. Silver hair is better than gray, though I don't really know the difference.

When I first saw your offer to send some of your homemade marshmallows, I was going to say,"Yes, Please send me a taste. I'd love it." After seeing the photo on your blog, I know I'd be done in. I'm eating "lower calorie" not low carb. I'm not counting points or actual calories. I figure that by now I know what to eat to get rid of the weight. I'm pretty much eating as if I was trying to maintain a weight of around 127 lbs., my goal. At my present weight, now 81 lbs. above that goal, I can get rid of the lbs. on a calorie total that would maintain my goal weight. I'll be adding exercise to the mix shortly. I'd like to send you a Xmas card. If you'd like to receive one, e-mail me with your address: arlenewkw@sbcglobal.net Also, eventually I want to make something for you in glass. What colors do you like?

Graham: So nice to have you comment on my blog. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and new year. I am very much impressed at the progress you've made with your weight. You are looking mighty fine.