Friday, November 13, 2009

Michael Jackson is Alive

The Michael Jackson concert film, 'This Is It,' has become a massively successful documentary.

Michael Jackson is alive, at least at a number of local theaters where I live. Compelled by its four star rating, I went alone to a 3:35 p.m. showing of "This is It." I was the first to enter the screening room in which it was shown. Another woman, also alone, entered shortly after, first sitting in front of me then switching to a seat behind and two seats to the left. In our pre-film chat, she said that she felt badly for the performers and crew who had these sought after jobs snatched away from them with MJ's death. Of course the MJ Industry continues, but without them. MJ, dead, makes more in a single week than most of us have made in our lifetimes.

Some of the performers were interviewed at their auditions. Many had tears in their eyes, grateful just for the opportunity to perform with MJ watching. I can only imagine the exultation of the eleven dancers who made the cut. Enlarging this for just a moment, I think of times when people feel particularly blessed by good fortune and how one doesn't really know how things will turn out. Certainly the teacher who was chosen for the ill-fated Challenger mission must have been awed by the journey that awaited her. How did those who also competed but remained earth-bound feel when they saw the Challenger engulfed in flames? We are beholden to the uncertainties of our existences. A small plane crashed into homes in a very nearby tract when I lived in Southern California. It ended up in the playground of my children's school. A resident in one of the homes was killed. Who could have imagined dying in a plane crash in one's own living room?

As to "This is It," I found it entertaining, worthwhile, magical. thought provoking and sad. Its pace was slow at the beginning, but with each moment, became increasingly compelling. I've never been a huge MJ fan, but have enjoyed his performances when I've seen/heard them. For all the obvious reasons, I've viewed MJ as a tragic figure. This film shows how hard he worked. I left with a sense of melancholy. All the intense effort of so many many people came to (almost) nothing with the death of this very talented, strong and fragile man. When the film was over, I avoided turning back to chat with the woman with whom I'd talked earlier. I wanted to be enveloped in my own silence.

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

So beautifully written Arlene, such discrete emotions you share, it makes me get the full impact more, bravo for this piece (I wrote peace and may Micheal rest in peace

word v is prozedin...sounds like prozac ;)

Kathy said...

I wanted to see this but it looks like I'll have to wait until a DVD version comes out...I hope! Can't believe they would pass up on that opportunity.
I was part of a county wide choral group that sang for Easter while I was in high school and I remember the chills I got down my spine and the pride I found in being part of something so big! I can't even imagine what it must have been like for those performers...and to then have it all taken away overnight.
Thanks so much for your review. I value your opinion.

icandy... said...

Hello there, Arlene!
Thank you very much for stopping by my place! Lorraine is such a dear friend of mine and I just love to visit her... she's an inspiration for me!
That's great that you went to see This Is It... I'm an MJ fan and I would just love to see that show! He was a phenomenal man!
Thank you again and I'll be back to visit soon!
Christina
:)