Monday, November 2, 2009

A Sampling of Books

These are some books I've recently enjoyed to varying degrees. I'm challenging myself to keep my comments brief.

My favorites: In sync with the theme of the book, I've pretty much forgotten the plot line of Stefan Merrill Blocks's The Story of Forgetting. Even so, it is a compelling, powerful, extremely well written book, easily worthy of a second read.

Benjamin Wallace's The Billionaire's Vinegar: Fun fun fun. And a true story. A glimpse into an extravagant, dare I say decadent, world in which a bottle of wine is sold for $156,000 and may not even be "the real thing."

I'd read anything by these two authors: In the last few pages of another wonderful book, The Senator's Wife, Sue Miller creates a scene of incredible poignancy. I didn't expect it, yet realized that the entire novel was building to this point.

I thoroughly enjoy Garrison Kellor's writing style. Love Me is a totally fun book. It has a plot, but I'd love it even if it didn't.


A trio of books about Ireland: Frank Delaney's Ireland is essentially a series of short stories told by an iterate storyteller. I began to cry for Ireland and better understand its recent history.

Leon Uris' Redemption has lingered on my shelf for years. At 867 pages, its story would be strengthened by some well placed nips and tucks. Even so, there are scenes that are burned into my memory and the book is well worth the sometimes weary ride. Again, I cry for Ireland (and shake a fist at imperial England - not the common man making his way as best as he can, but the power hungry decision makers who made a misery of the lives of those they conquered).

Of this trio, I most enjoyed Robin Maxwell's The Wild Irish. Based on true events occurring from the 1590's through the earliest years of the 1600's, this is a story of two amazingly strong women, Elizabeth I and the pirate, Grace O'Malley. More than the other two books, this gave me an understanding of why the Irish were so vulnerable to mighty England.

Not all that great:
I should have remembered that Chris Bohjalian is not one of my well liked authors. With The Double Bind, he not totally unexpectedly disappointed me. The heralded surprise ending was of the type where the protagonist wakes up and the whole story turns out to be a dream. More importantly, this author has writing tics that drive me crazy, repeatedly referring to the main character as "the social worker," for instance; misusing (twice) the word "irony." Even so, the book kept my attention. I must remember not to buy another book by this author unless I'm desperate to read something and nothing else even semi worthwhile is available.


A question I am asking myself: Why is it that I've written the most about the book that I like the least? Hmmmmmmmmm.

9 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

Reading Books is one pleasure I've never really got into. I tend to start but never finish a book, just lose interest.

Kathy said...

Enjoyed your reviews. I have a stack of books I really want to read and they are just sitting there. I can't read and knit at the same time, alas!

Lorraine said...

Because you're mad at wasting time lol great post, I love it, since I'm having extreme difficult in reading, it's fun to read a summary instead, thanks for that!
You're a great reviewer...My first love was always reading...

ArleneWKW said...

Mick: As long as you've got other pleasures, reading certainly doesn't need to be added. If you wanted to try it again, I would suggest short stories or articles that have to do with the sports you enjoy.

Kathy: Yup, hard to work on glass and read, too. It helps that my hubby also likes to read.

Lorraine: Posting isn't a waste of time, I just spend too much time when I do it. I'm pushing myself to post more often, though. I enjoy the "sociability" as well as the process. The book that I'll be sending you, Ann Tylor's "Celestial Navigation" will be in the mail today or tomorrow.

Lorraine said...

Oh I can't wait, thanks so much Arlene ;)

Lorraine said...

I don't know how you did it, but you inspired me yesterday, and I was able to read for a couple of hours, bless you sweetie x

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Cool. I don't know that I did anything, but I'll gladly take the credit. What are your reading? I mailed Celestial Navigation yesterday. You should get it in two weeks or (possibly much) less.

Lorraine said...

That sounds wonderful, I love all things of heaven and magic, I've just finished a 'Lydia Strong mystery' from author Lisa Miscione and have a started a lighthearted novel from Susan Wiggs...I can't read real horror life stories anymore, but when i can't sleep I pick up one of my spiritual ones, so you're gift will be loved and thank you again so much x

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: It's not a spiritual book or one of heaven and magic, but I think you'll like it. The main draw for me is the intensely interesting and very private man who is the main character, his very interesting, and the turns that his life take when his mother dies. This is Anne Tyler's 5th book and the one that got the attention of some literary "notables." Most importantly, it's short and a good intro. to both Anne Tyler and a type of book that I find compelling, one that is deeply character focused. Again, if you find that you don't warm up to it, feel free to cut loose of it.