Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Facebook - An Invitation

I've finally succumbed to Facebook. I've initially got on it a while ago to try to find old friends with whom I've lost contact. After that so far unsuccessful endeavor, I only used it to respond to friend requests from others. I accept as friends only those people who I actually know in the default world or through this blog. When I haven't recognised someone as such a friend, I've asked them how we know each other. A few days ago, with the addition of one more friend and conversations with my son and daughter, I realized my Facebook connections were reaching critical mass. I added to that mass by going to the home page of this particular friend and finding among her friends, many people who I also know. I invited them to be my Facebook friends as well.

I don't see Facebook as a tool that in any way replaces my (long neglected) blog, but I finally do see the value of it in easily keeping up with the goings on in the lives of people that I know to the extent that they choose to share them.

Soooo, if any of my on-line friends is on Facebook, feel free to friend me or let me know that you are on Facebook and I'll friend you. It seems like a good way to keep up the connection during those sometimes long periods that I'm just not into blogging or into reading the blogs of my on-line friends.

12 comments:

Lorraine said...

What a marvelous, brilliant idea, and guess who decided to smarten up and re-opened her facebook, ME...I'll see you there sweetie, glad to see you here too ;)

Mick & Cathy said...

I'm afraid I'm not on Facebook, I do MySpace as well as blogger and feel thats enough.
However I do know lots of people on Facebook a lot seem to be heading that way so maybe one day I'll do it.
Hope you are well Arlene.
Take Care
Mick

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Thanks. I sent a message to one of 5 or 6 Lorraine Renauld's to confirm that you are you. I think it was you 'cause the location is Quebec. The name listed is Marie-Lorraine I believe.

Mick: Let me know if and when you go to Facebook.

Lorraine said...

Arlene, I'm so sorry after being on for about a week I gave up again, that's the longest I've ever been on, but honestly people go on and on and on about what they're doing and then you get to see what all their friends are doing and honestly, too social, it tires me and I spend less time on my Am3 and on blogger which I prefer by far...and the one you send it to, sorry wrong one. I did send an invite to you though when I was on...probably got the wrong one too LOL...FACEBOOK is a great outlet for social beings which as you know I'm not ;)

Lorraine said...

oh and sweety for the records my last name is RENAUD ;)

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I was actually a little surprised when you told me you were on Facebook because of the sociability thing. I like your new profile photo and am glad that is shows more of your pretty face.

Lorraine said...

why oh why do Ihave to be addicted to everything, I'm back:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=home

I don't know if this will work but if not it's under LorraineRenaud from Gatineau Quebec or could be from Ottawa

Lorraine said...

and...gone again, the social aspect of it is a killer lol

laughingwolf said...

what? not using fritter... uh... twitter? :O lol

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: I noticed that you were gone. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I wonder if you've considered a mid-point between being fully ON and fully GONE. I notice that a lot of people stay on Facebook without posting very much if at all. I very much restrict what I put out there. Anyway, I know that you'll do what's right for you.

Laughingwolf: I finally checked out Twitter during the recent uprisings following the Iranian election. I found it interesting, though without use in my current circumstances.

Lorraine said...

and yet lol how hilarious that none of us caught the Nov 2009 booboo, I certainly didn't think, wait a second that's not even here yet, and why not? 'cause I was just too captivated by the entire feeling of your lovely writing, I wouldn't have even noticed it, if you had underlined and bolded it, because the DATE meant nothing, your words and courage took all my attention..

Pandora Woman said...

-grins seeing you are back- Good on you woman. Been missing you!

As for facebook, uh uh, not for me. I am on linked in, a kind of business facebook. Is enough for me.

Me of limited brain should not make things more difficult than they are. Will keep following you here.

Good to see you back!

Hugs,

Willow