Saturday, July 25, 2009

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y (finally) !!!


It is fitting that my first real post in a very long time is once more about getting rid of the regain, the former subtitle of this blog which I began on September 27, 2005. At that time, I weighed 185 lbs. Four years and two months later, on November 25, 2009, I weighed considerably more. At that point, I got honest with myself.

I like to eat whatever I want to eat whenever I want to it it more than I want to fit into my snazzy size tens. My sporadic bursts of self discipline and railings against self indulgence were enfeebled by this truth. Admitting it has set me free. And, not unexpectedly, truth has had a paradoxical effect.

I made an agreement with myself on May 25th and, for the first time in a very long time, I've been able to keep it. I decided that I could eat whatever I wanted to eat whenever I wanted to eat with two caveats: (1) I would no longer eat ice cream. Within a few days, I expanded this to include sweet bakery goods, puddings, and the like. (2) I would avoid, but not entirely fore go, bread in its various forms. Beyond that, I would make good decisions about what I'd eat based on the circumstances.

From my low of 125.5 pounds in 2003 to my high of (ouch) 212.5 or 213.5 in May 2009, most of my 87 or 88 pound gain (ouch) was due to binging. In the beginning, after I'd eaten two or three apples, the raging impulse to continue the binge would come upon me. Usually the next step was cold cereal. After that, it didn't matter.

What I have changed by my new permissiveness is the context for a binge. I've blown it away. I can eat at one sitting as many apples as I can possibly handle without feeling the slightest bit of self reproach. Another bit of truth is that the two or three apples that began my early binges were not the cause of my almost 90 pound regain.

I had a little test of the power of this new approach. Last Saturday night, I got fall asleep drunk at the Fire Arts Festival, a fund raiser for The Crucible. I had paid to attend the soiree which included a gourmet dinner and an open bar among other perks. I ate without guilt all that was presented to me including the dessert. I partook of the champagne, wine, and absinthe, especially the absinthe, without restraint. A bit of a warning about absinthe: It is 45-75% alcohol; It is a mistake to drink it like wine. (With my car safely parked in the VIP parking lot, a cab safely returned me to my hotel.)

The next morning, headache free, I ate the two hard-boiled eggs and drank the V8 that I had brought with me. Craving salad and salty protein, I stopped at a Noah's Bagels on the way home and got a bagel with cream cheese, lox, onion, lettuce, and tomato. Later, at home, I continued to eat salty foods that were high in protein. My consumption of calories way exceeded my utilization of them for the day. Even so, I felt that the decisions that I made about what to eat were appropriate for the circumstances. What was critical was how I'd behave the next day.

And, on Monday (clash of cymbals, drum roll please) I smoothly returned to the eating patterns that I had established in the preceding eight weeks. Except that I didn't have the sense of returning to, but rather continuing, good decision making. And so it has continued and is likely to continue. At 201 lbs, I've gotten rid of 11.5 or 12.5 pounds since May 25th. At some point, I may not be able to continue to eat whatever I want to eat whenever I want to eat it and still get rid of the lbs, but that will be another discussion. At some point (soon), I will add regular exercise to the mix. That may or may not be another discussion. For now, I am feeling more centered and solid than I have in a very long time.

9 comments:

Constanza Maria Colonna said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful, candid blog. You're truly an inspiration, Arlene. I'm right there with you. In the past two months, I've lost 18 pounds; most of which has been in the past 3 weeks. I'm hoping to lose another 20 by the time I hit the playa. Then another 10 by October 9 which is the day my son, Raymond gets married.
I wish you success in reaching your goal. Your determination is your victory. You will do it!
Much love,
Connie

Lorraine said...

Fantastic, good girl, and may I say I love your photo, you're pretty and colourful :)
and like njconnie, I'm right there with you, I've realised that my over comsumption of cereal, bread, nutella, ice cream was really making me look like I was 9 months pregnant. This might not have bothered so much if my stomach had been able to handle all the flour and sugar...I had very uncomfortable night. So yesterday, I bought low carb and lettuce and eggs and I slept pain-free last night. So that was a lesson in itself. So good for you lol x

Cindybrown said...

This has been my whole adult life. You described it so well. I have been up and down for years. The binging has been over and over, always a battle for control.

Pandora Woman said...

yer back! Wheeeeeee, and doing good! -hugs- keep it going woman. whatever works for you!

Willow

Kathy said...

Good for you, Arlene. Each one of us has to find what works for us and it sounds like you've found a formula that makes you happy and also allows you to lose weight. Keep us informed on your progress.

ArleneWKW said...

General Comment: It's amazing to me how carefully I can edit my posts - changing an "an" to an "and" (or the other way around) for example - and still seriously mess up. I began my strategy of good decision making on May 25 NOT November 25 though I wrote that date three times in the original post. I will start week 10 of my good decision making approach on Monday.

Connie: I'm so glad that you commented on my blog. We'll both get this thing done once and for all.

Lorraine: Thank you thank you thank you Lorraine. Nutella, I've tasted it, but never actually had it in the house. If I did, I'd be weighing 300 lbs. right about now. (BTW, I made a mistake in my original post. Please read my "General Comment" above.)

Cindybrown: Thank you for reading and commenting on my post. I'll check out your blog soon. (BTW, I made a mistake in my original post. Please read my "General Comment" above.)

Willow: You're back too. Yaaaaay! I'll check out your blog soon. I'm so glad to see you back. (BTW, I made a mistake in my original post. Please read my "General Comment" above.)

Kathy: I'm so absolutely delighted to see you comment on my blog again. I'm always a little concerned that some of my on-line friends may decide to give up on me when I take one of my periodic leaves. (BTW, I made a mistake in my original post. I'm not sure if you read the original or the corrected version. Please read my "General Comment" above.)

Rebecca said...

You gave up bread and ice cream? Way to go woman! I find that if there is ice cream in the house, I have to hide it from myself. Putting it in the basement freezer is sufficient, but if it is in the kitchen freezer, I will eat it nightly until it is gone. Bread I eat daily, and when I don't I get grumpy. One trick that I learned from my mom is to eat ice cream with a baby spoon so that it lasts longer, but it doesn't cut the calories.
Anyway, congrats on staying on target.

laughingwolf said...

the way it works [i've heard]: eat what you want, when you want... just keep the portions SMALL... including the NUMBER of times you eat

hope you get to where you wanna be :)

ArleneWKW said...

Rebecca: I have ice cream spoons that are not much (if any) larger than baby spoons. That hasn't helped me. I can easily make ice cream eating last for hours once I've started. Putting it in a basement (or, in our case, garage) freezer is likewise ineffective when I'm into an obsessive slam back of the creamy good stuff. I'm willing to make the downstairs journey to retrieve the good stuff.

Laughingwolf: Small doesn't work for me nor does restricting the number of times I eat. I'm quite okay eating massive quantities of spinach, broccoli and the like. This works for me once I've escaped from the mighty binge monkey.