Monday, November 12, 2012

Taking Time

Sometimes a response is needed.  The behavior of the other person requires it.  Such a task has sometimes overwhelmed me in the past.  I am impelled to respond immediately and the task overtakes my life.

This time, I did it differently.  I set a time for four days later to write a response to a provocative letter that I had received.  When thoughts about the planned letter intruded, I pushed them away.  When I found myself mulling the situation while swimming laps, I focused on the number of the lengths that I had completed.

On Sunday, alone and with hours at my disposal, I finally jotted down the points that I wanted to make.  Rather than the fevered passion which has accompanied my writing such letters in the past, I felt a sense of peace. Putting distance between my initial reaction and my expression of it allowed me to do the task dispassionately.

4 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

I coldn't have waited 4 days, would be immediate response from me. That said I would probably said things i regret afterwards, usally ends up like that, lol.

On another note, I've lost your new email address if you could send me a email i'll save it. Got some nice photos to send you.

Out of Sight L said...

Oh Arlene that is so wise, I am also to impulsive, I'll try your way, try not to make it my only care...how wise you are, and again Iapologize for that song, it was careless and thoughtless of me and I meant to hurt you x

Out of Sight L said...

between the i and meant should have been NEVER. Lately it seems that when I write i skip over words, ...how weird theyare in mind thoughts but somehow doesn't reach my fingers, what I should do is proofread but then I'll probably just see what I meant to write

ArleneWKW said...

I'll look forward to your photos. I'll send you an e-mail. If I forget, it is arlene3870@att.net.

I understand. It is easy to focus on the pain in our lives. I have a similar problem when my mind is racing and the process of writing is slower.