Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Miracle Just Happened

And this is not an April Fools Joke..... My Internet failed this morning. This meant no wireless connection for my iPad.....which later would mean no Netflix for the evening. It also meant that I could not access the wild and wacky world with my hard wired computer either. Since my iPhone has access to 3G or 4G (whatever that is), I wasn't entirely unconnected to the rest of the on-line world, but its screen is small compared to the other options and I'm spoiled. I unplugged the router or modem or whatever it is called. (It has about seven lights in a row that show if the thing is working.) That didn't fix the problem, so I tried it again and a third time. And then gave up because I wanted to deal with the continuing saga of my moving-in chaos. I worked in the garage at a good pace, but felt gloomy and anxious. I couldn't shake off that nibbling sensation of my world being off kilter. And then the miracle began. I took a break and called AT+T. The computer program that has the voice of a very nice man asked me a few questions. (Usually I end his spiel with insistently saying "operator.") Today I answered the questions. After a few interchanges he told me that he'd reboot my connection. I hung up when the silence that he told me to expect came. A few minutes later the blinky blinky router or modem or whatever it is called blinked happily along. AT+T fixed the problem. (I won't ponder whether or not they caused the problem in the first place.) AT+T got it right and it only took a few minutes to do so. That feels to me like a miracle.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I had the same experience with AT&T a couple of years ago. I have a daughter and son-in-law who are computer experts and I rely on them but they live out of town and I wouldn't be seeing them for awhile. Mark always begins our sessions with: Is it turned on and did you try rebooting? So I went through that check-list and with trepidation called the help line. I am always afraid that they will call something by its proper name and I will be a dummy and not understand what they are trying to ask me and I will be embarrassed to death, but this live helper was so kind and patient that I was able to follow his questions and he came to the same conclusion that he would have to correct the problem from where he was and it worked like a charm! I swore that I would never be afraid to ask them for help again in the future and thanked this kid profusely for making the experience pleasant for this old self-taught computer loving lady!
I began your post thinking that you were going to come to the conclusion that the world is a better place if you are unplugged from it! I'm thinking, "Oh, no!". I've told the kids that I will only agree to go to a nursing home some day if the home has WiFi and I have a working computer! I think today of how much my own mother would have enjoyed the internet, God Bless her! She would have been connecting with people all over the world instead of with the soap operas and Bob Barker!

Timoteo said...

How ya been?
We had a power outage here yesterday for about an hour and a half, and suddenly one feels helpless, right? Then the realization of how much we rely on our ability to CONNECT, in all its myriad ways.

Hey, I think you should post that comment you left on my poem as a stand alone poem of your own. Lovely and truly poignant.

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: I consider my iPhone my external brain. I haven't memorized my kid's phone numbers. It is so easy to rely on technology. To what purposes have I left my brain to do? Ummm, doing crossword puzzles and figuring where to put the good dishes away in my new house. I hope that and a few other activities keep my brain from withering. (My iPod even corrects my spelling errors and typos.)

Timoteo: I'm pleased that you are commenting (also Kathy). I wondered if you'd be visiting my blog after my fairly long absence. I am very pleased that you enjoyed my comment on your blog and that you value it as a poem.