Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Multi-Headed Gorilla

Today I woke up around 6:30 a.m., much much earlier than my preferred time. My thoughts about a gargantuan photo project kept me awake. How could I ever finish it in the two days that I had allocated for the project. This was a time-line that I'd established for myself in order to take advantage of a mega-discount (67% off) from an on-line photo company.

This morning I finally admitted the obvious. I can't do it. Sitting at the computer for the time needed to achieve the results I am aiming for is too much of a physical strain for me. My back hurts. My neck hurts. And what was supposed to be a FUN project has become a multi-headed gorilla that needs caging. I've decided to trade robotic perseverance for a saner incremental approach. I'll spend no more than 90 minutes at a time at the computer - and only 60 minutes if I'm hurting.

This approach, to throw myself entirely into a project at the expense of other things (eg. exercise) is not unusual for me. Over-all I think I lead a fairly well-balanced life; on a day to day basis not so much. The all or nothing approach is all too typical of the way I live my life.

Pain can be a great teacher. Today it is teaching me that it is time for a fundamental change in how I approach my days.

11 comments:

Kathy said...

But it is hard to decide what you want to give up to behave in a sane manner, isn't it? I still want to do it all and it frustrates me to no end when my body won't let me!

Timoteo said...

Well, just give it your all in the allotted time. :)

Lorraine said...

absolutely Dear Arlene, the energy mental, physical,spiritual has to be there...if it's not, doing it is a great disservice to you and to others....

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: I almost have to literally pull myself away from an activity once I immerse myself in it. This is true even if it is something that I have procrastinated doing. I suppose this is what a Unitarian minister referred to as an AFGE, another friggin growth experience.

Timoteo: That really is the only realistic option.

Lorraine: It may surprise you to know that, after first resisting it, I find much truth in the second part of the idea which you expressed. What I do, what we all do, has an impact on others, especially those about whom we care. On another subject, using the e-mail addresses that you gave me before and that I used successfully before, the e-mail that I've tried three times to send to you has bounced back to me all three times. If you e-mail me, I'll do a cut and paste of what I've written and hit reply.

Nola said...

Pain has a knack of teaching you those things! Plus, if it becomes a chore instead of fun.....dump it!! Or reschedule your time :) I LOVE the AFGE!!!! lol

Lorraine said...

oh ps the address Lrenaud2@videotron.ca just sends you to JUNK, how dare they, no worries I set them straight...and said: THIS IS NOT JUNK..lol idiots

Nona said...

Hello my sweet. Haven't blogged for a while and when I came to visit you yesterday I was distressed to find that your blog was closed. Did a little digging and thank goodness found you here. :)

Know what you mean about the project. Sometimes the flesh is just weaker than the spirit. I'm still a long way off from getting that moderation is key but I'm closer that I was.

Hugs and best wishes for 2011!!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Makes good sense to set time limits, its so easy to becme addicted to what you are doing on a PC.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Your e-mail program is still rejecting stuff I send you. Grrrr.

Nona: I'm glad to see you're back on line. I'll check out your blog when I had time. I've suspended the weight loss blog until I manage to gather enough consistent self discipline to make it worthwhile. For now it would just be a series of whines, "brilliant insights" and such about my failures to get on track.

Mick: Addiction is any excellent description of the process.

Lorraine said...

i miss you girl, how'ya doin' ?

ArleneWKW said...

Okay Lorraine. Thanks for caring. I will return. Just been pretty busy in the default world.