Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Have You Been Bad or Good ????

(Click on the picture for more detail.)

After I left the group of Santas after the sun had gone down last Saturday, I approached a woman who smiled at me as she waited for the boat parade to start. I was still wearing my Santa pants, but had taken off my jacket and may have also taken off my hat.

"I've been looking for you," I said.

"You have?" asked the woman. "Do I know you?"

"Why of course you know me."

"I don't know you."

I turned to the woman who was with her. "Does she know me?"

"I don't know."

"I don't know you," repeated her friend.

I waved my red jacket, trimmed in white "fur," at her. "Okay," I said. "I'm not used to this hot weather. It's cold where I come from."

"Oh," her face relaxed into a smile. "You're Santa Claus."

"Yes," I said. "And I've been looking for you to find out if you've been bad or good. I couldn't find your name in my records."

"Oh, I've been good," she said.

I paused, tilted my head and asked slowly, "but what about that one time. You remember don't you?"

She giggled. "Yes there was that time."

"Well, since you've been honest about it, Santa has something for you." I pulled out an ornament from the red bag that I was carrying. It was one of the more expensive ones enveloped in a wrapping of pale blue nylon.

"That's just the right color," said the woman. "But you already knew that didn't you."

I smiled and moved on to find other strangers with whom I could play.

6 comments:

Nola said...

Love it!!

Lorraine said...

Oh how wonderful are you! what a darling I love this post xx

Kathy said...

You are a good Santa! Feminism is still alive in California?

ArleneWKW said...

Thanks Nola.

Yay Lorraine. I'm glad you liked it.

Kathy, I strongly protested when people said I was Mrs. Claus. "The big guy gets too much credit when I end up doing most of the work."

Timoteo said...

As regards photo: Not sure how many of those laps I'd be willing to sit on! LOL. Is that you on the left there?

ArleneWKW said...

Timoteo: You scoped me out well. And if you have been a good boy, you can sit on my lap and tell me what you want for Christmas. And if you have been a bad boy, you will have a very very good chance of getting it.