Thursday, June 17, 2010

First About Lavender Oil, Then About The Harmony Festival

Nola, one of my blogger friends, has transformed the way I can now live my life with her inclusion of lavender oil in a gift bag she sent me after Matt's death. This is not an exaggeration. I have suffered from difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep for well over a decade. I took Temazapan regularly until a doc cut me off from my supply, taken antihistimines until a dose of 4 had replaced my initial dose of one and had become ineffective, and have alternated between the two of these, along with insomniac nights, when I was able to get Temazapan from another doc and/or use the ones prescribed to my hubby. I was alternating between antihistimines and Tempazapan when I received Nola's gift. I started putting drops of the lavender oil on my pillow while simultaneously cutting down my pill usage. I was off the pills - except for when I am away from home and sometimes even then - in a matter of weeks. Lavender oil really really works. And I am significantly more alert in the daytime hours than I'd been with the lingering effects of "better living through chemistry."

This past weekend, I went to the Harmony Festival held at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. I brought my RV so that I could enjoy the music and dancing that was scheduled to last until 4 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. (I pooped out at around 2 a.m.) Throughout my time at the festival, I couldn't decide if I was having an absolutely wonderful time or wanted to go home; when I was having a good time, I was having a very good time; when I was feeling distant from the events (out of harmony with them), I felt like leaving. The best music was NOT at the main stage - though I learned to like (very much) some of the big sounds that were played there that at first didn't appeal to me. The music and atmosphere that I enjoyed the most was at a small teahouse which also served vegan yummies. Here are some pix of from the event:
























7 comments:

Kathy said...

Isn't it wonderful when something simple and natural actually works? I think people who haven't suffered through insomnia have no idea how debilitating it can be. I got through menopause without a single symptom except insomnia and I can attest to the fact that it can change you from a peaceful woman to someone who wants to murder someone who would disturb a hard-won sleep!

I make it a practice to listen to lots of different types of music and try not to give up after just one run through. Often, repetition is the key to growing to appreciate a different sound.

Lorraine said...

Wow I've been taken pharmaceuticals to sleep for a long time, so thanks for that, I'll try it...
You know when you weren't completely in the moment, a little uneasy (I'm assuming) it could be withdrawal from the pharmaceutical...I'm no kidding! Hang in there nature will balance itself, I wish I was so wise with me, right, hand me those nightime sinus thingies ;)

Lorraine said...

forgot to say, love the photos ;)

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: No one who's not suffered through long bouts of insomnia can fully appreciate the toll it takes. Good point about repetition expanding one's music appreciation. I think that's what's happened to me with regard to opera of which I've grown passionate since the Met started the HD broadcasts.

Lorraine: Try the lavender oil Lorraine. Maybe I'll pick up an extra bottle when I buy some for myself, but don't wait if you can get it before then. Thanks for your compliment re. the pix, especially appreciated since you take such good photos.

Timoteo said...

I don't have insomnia (except if the cats wake me in the middle of the night fighting, and I can't get back to sleep) but I'll make a note about the lavender for future reference.

Festival looked quite colorful (HIPPIES...EEK!)

ArleneWKW said...

Timoteo: An old college friend, after reading my blog, said, "You're a hippy. You're still living in the 60's." I disagreed. I consider myself a free spirit. I asked Rachael, my daughter, what she thought. "You're a hippy," she said. Maybe I am, but I don't feel like one. I'm too much of a non-conformist.

Nola said...

I am so pleased the lavender oil is doing the trick! I started on it when I first hurt my back...in the burner or a few drops on my bed linen and I like to listen to relaxation music when I get into bed. I am so fortunate to live in an area of the world that produces the purest, most gorgeous lavender also!! Keep your eye on your mail box my friend:)