Thursday, May 20, 2010

Overwhelmed

I have been desperately trying to get up to date with paperwork. After two nights of staying up waaay past midnight and NOT working out on my elliptical cross trainer, I AM STILL NOT DONE.

The vast majority of the paperwork with which I am currently dealing is a result of my hubby's death. Much involves keeping track of various accounts, this because the heirs to some of these accounts are Matt's children. Even if Matt's highly (un)delightful daughter wasn't paranoid about my "intentions," I would be scrupulously keeping these accounts. Her paranoia adds to my frustration.

Other hassles:

Because some idiot in a certain company doesn't understand what information is and is not required, I have to sign an already completed form in the presence of an "authorized guarantor" and photocopy documents that are not required for what I want to do.

Because some government idiot has tried to correct one mistake and, in the process, has created another mistake, I have to write a letter to the governmental agency for which this idiot works explaining what has happened.

Files need to be updated. Papers need to be organized. Stuff that Matt used to do needs doings. Stuff that I used to do still needs doing.

Add shredding obsolete papers to this list. Some of this stuff goes back more than twenty years. I can not die now because it would be immoral to leave this shredding to others. Too much friggin work for them.

I haven't even mentioned the home fix-it stuff and the home maintenance stuff. My house is falling apart.

I haven't done much in the way of getting rid of Matt's stuff. This is not an emotional issue for me. I haven't done much about this stuff because I'm too busy doing other stuff.

I am so friggin tired of all this.

Tomorrow I will finish up with the form to the company and the letter to the governmental agency. On June 7th, I'll spend some time dealing with home repair and maintenance. On June 14th, I'll get back to the paperwork. After a few days at it, I will again put it aside unfinished.

It is Spring and soon will be summer. Music festivals, cool themed fairs, and far away places are loudly calling me. Neither numbers and forms nor fix-its and get-rid-of-its will keep me a prisoner when the sun is shining.

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

I probably shouldn't curse like this but boy they piss me off, fucking government!!! sorry, to you not to the f'ng govt

you don't need or deserve this...how did we manage to create such a monster!

Kathy said...

I know we've heard that envy and hatred can harm us but I think frustration is the most deadly of all emotions. Having to jump through hoops is so godawful!

Mick & Cathy said...

Your paperwork sounds a real pain.

I know when tasks build up they really can overwhelm us all.

I tend to have a method where I have a "jobs to do" list. Put everything down on paper however small, this can include, paperwork, housework, maintenance, gardening, etc.
Then choose a period of the day for doing these tasks and each day work from the top (ok if weather is nice I oncentrate on outside tasks and vice versa). The secret is not trying to do everything at once, I tend to do my work in the mornings, leave afternoon for relaxing (or go for a walk) and evenings for social activities (table tennis, pool, etc).
Usually start work after breakfast (8.30ish) until 12noon that way I don't overdo it and have plenty of time to myself.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Ah, frig! You can curse any time you want to Lorraine. I just wish the monster didn't have such idiotic tentacles.

Kathy: The hoops wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make new ones through which I have to jump (and tell me that I'd jumped improperly through ones I'd already gotten through). Errrrg.

Mick: I DO have everything written down. You have a good plan though. I don't work effectively in I just give a few hours over to the task, but I really should put a cut off point at around 5 p.m and MAKE time to get on my elliptical, eat dinner before 9 or 10 p.m., and have some time for evening relaxation.

Timoteo said...

I like your tone and your resolve at the end. (Speaking of government idiots...check out my latest post.)

ArleneWKW said...

Timoteo: We're on-line at the same time. I've just come back from commenting on your blog. Thanks for your comment.

Nona said...

First Arlene, let me wish you belated condolences on your husband's passing. As you know I stopped blogging for awhile and that was when he passed and then last week when reading your other blog I was wondering how he was doing, came over here and did some digging and realised he had died. I was so shocked and saddened that I didn't write you immediately ... and truth be told didn't know how to broach the subject without seeming intrusive.

Reading this post has given me the opportunity I needed to tell you how sorry I am that he died.

Secondly, I completely understand where you're coming from re the paperwork. Ours is not nearly as complicated as your's seems, but still I get mega frustrated with bureaucratic cock-ups and sometimes I just feel like making a bon fire of all our papers and walking off into the woods never to be seen by "civilised" society again.

Sending you a big hug and a good luck with sorting things out.

ArleneWKW said...

Nona: Thank you so much for your condolence wishes and for wondering how Matt was doing. I very much appreciate them. It is good to know that you care.

40 Something said...

these days shall pass and brighter one will come, hang in there, still hear in your post you optimitis voice in spite of the difficulties, that will keep you afloat until those brighter days

ArleneWKW said...

TTM: Thanks Graham. I appreciate your caring comment.

Suzy said...

Arlene I haven't been blogging much the last few months and I just popped over to see how you are going. I am so sorry to read about dear Matt. I hope you are OK and I also hope you get all your horrible paperwork sorted out and people (including relatives) are kind to you.
suzy xx