Wednesday, February 3, 2010

TV Shows

In the aftermath of The Recent Event, I find that my television viewing habits have changed. This is not surprising. Matt's health challenges kept him pretty much anchored to the family room couch where I would also sit in order to be with him. The television was usually on and Matt would be watching it or nodding off, sometimes with earphones and sometimes not. When we watched a show together, I'd usually also be doing something else, crossword puzzles for example or ripping out recipes from Sunset magazine.

Since The Recent Event, I've found myself completely uninterested in the make-believe lives of the pretend people whose adventures we used to follow. Dr. House will have to be his brilliant arrogant self without me. Allison Dubois will go on dreaming, Patrick Jane will be insightful, and The Good Wife will be good (or not) and I won't care. But . . .

I have discovered Project Runway. The title alone, and with it the potential for my wonderful hubby's kind ridicule, kept me from discovering this particular guilty pleasure until a week or so ago. I've become a huge fan.
Late bloomer that I am, I have finally joined the hordes who follow the complicated lives of the airplane crash survivors and the Others in the TV series, "Lost." I watched a two hour plot summary last week and saw the two hour first episode of this (its last) season last night. I've just printed out pages showing the main and supporting characters from Lostpedia and the first eleven pages about the show from Wikipedia. I don't want to be lost - sorry I can't help myself -while trying to figure out what's going on. I'm not a huge fan at this point, but seeing the show has become a cultural imperative for me.

I haven't entirely given up on shows that Matt and I used to watch. I'll continue to watch Criminal Minds, a delightful gem about serial killers and the FBI profilers who catch them. I'll also watch Flash Forward and The Vee (sp.?) when they are back on the air. (Flash Forward is truly compelling.)

And I'll enjoy the silence of a blank TV screen and the time that it frees up to do other things.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Lost is my sister's favourite show....I have many, but Grey's Anatomy is one of my favs, I also like Brothers and Sisters, and when I get fed up with family's stupid problems I switch to Angel, the 207 year old Vampire!!!! I'm not above or beyond wathing anything, as long as it's on DVD, cause i dont' wathc tv...lol

Kathy said...

Project Runway! I DVR it and watch it the next day when Harold is at work. He just doesn't GET shows like that. And he was too late to Mad Men so he thinks it is a soap opera no matter how many times I tried to explain how wonderful it is. The Office is my favorite comedy followed closely by Modern Family. I'm fortunate that I can watch television and still knit or blog.

Mick & Cathy said...

Never heard of "Project Runway", not a big TV fan myself think its a unhealthy habit to get into.
I'll watch some things but try to avoid watching programmes that you have to follow on a daily/weekly basis. Always think they start to run peoples lives.

Nola said...

Ricky and myself are avid followers of Criminal Minds....although I suppose we are miles behind America!!
I can imagine it would be a little strange to have "the run" of the TV screen....or not....depending on your whim alone. That in itself is not a bad thing I suppose. I loved watching our Australian Biggest Loser....but since moving here to the West Coast we don't get that channel anymore and I am devastated!!

40 Something said...

I did not watch LOST the first 3 seasons, but one summer watch them all on HULU. I think I have now seen every episode via HULU, so if you don't mind watching on the computer I recommend it.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: Watching things on DVD is an excellent way to view the different media. I especially enjoy the opportunity to see shows that I may have missed and broadcasts from other countries.

Kathy: It's been quite some time since I've enjoyed a TV comedy. You are wise to knit while watching TV. I don't have the concentration to be able to blog and watch TV simultaneously.

Mick: I agree. The caveat is that, in the last years and months of Matt's life, he lacked the energy to do much beyond watching TV. Now that he's gone, my TV watching has gone down dramatically. Even so, it's nice to have the TV on when I'm washing dishes and the like.

Nola: Criminal Minds is one of the few shows that Matt and I watched that I still enjoy. I think I like the characters in that show more than in most others. I never got into "Biggest Loser."

Graham: I'd rent DVDs if I wanted to catch up on Lost. I'm not sure if I'll continue watching it after all (see my next post as to why).