Friday, January 1, 2010

A Curmudgeonly Comment About the Friggin Ball

I may have written about this before, about how we get used New Years' Eves here in Northern California. As if there is no New Year's Eve celebration in San Francisco where fireworks blaze in front of the ferry building. Or in Southern California, the home of Hollywood. Well finally Matt and I settled for Las Vegas because it is at least in the same time zone as us. Within minutes they announced, "and now we go live to New York" which was, of course, a rebroadcast of what was live three hours earlier. And so we settled again, since all the world is apparently focused on the friggin ball falling in friggin New York. Why not Greenwich, England, the official time-keeper of the world? Or further to the west where the crooked date line is drawn?

And they were excited, the crowds. At least according to Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest and probably Anderson Cooper and the boringly outrageous chick on the stage with him. Yes indeed, the crowds went wild with anticipation as the moments drew near. Their collective nerves quivered as the ball descended. And then there was an orgasmic cheer. The New Year had begun. Matt and I yawned and showed our age. Having been through 63 New Year's Eves, we know that nothing changes. The most narcissistic species on this and possibly any planet has arbitrarily decided that a particular moment in time begins a Whole New Year. And time goes on, one tick at a time. The Cosmos doesn't even bother to shrug.

And yet, just a bit, no more than that, I would give up some of my hard earned wisdom for the youthful exuberance that had me tossing into the air in front of the princess's castle at Disneyland a pack of cigarettes that I'd resolved to quit smoking on a New Year's Eve so very long ago.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I've often wondered how the west coast feels about getting so many warmed over and edited television shows. Indiana has bent over backwards to remain on Eastern time so we can remain in sync with NY. As for New Year's eve, we go to bed the usual time and only worry about changing to the new calendar and remembering to write the new year on checks.

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: ah yes, writing the new year on checks. I'd forgotten about that.

Kathy said...

Not that I write that many checks anymore! Nearly everything is on the internet. I refuse the internet route if they don't let me approve the withdrawal prior to them doing it each time. I'm afraid of the ones who just go in there and take money out and I don't find out about it until I check my account the next time.

ArleneWKW said...

Kathy: I understand the fear.

Lorraine said...

Happy New Year My sweet Cheerful Arlene lol I posted something similiar on new year's eve, but a little different...Going out to Watch Tv, that always blows me away ....You're outrageously funny...and Arlene and Hi Kathy, you know in my defunct store I accepted cheque even after receipt of the stuff... yep lol

Lorraine said...

Oh Arlene, just a note to say I'm impressed with your weight loss blog, as you'll see when you get there. I feel a bit like a stalker I've left so many comments lol

Mick & Cathy said...

I would find it so strange living in a country with so many "New Years" with all those time zones.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: You are sunshine in my life. I will check out your New Year's Eve post later. You are definitely not a stalker. You may be my muse. I'll check out your comments on my other blog and reply to them there later.

Mick: We also get rebroadcasts of celebrations all over the world. The one in Russia, against the architectural background of a wonderful byzantine church (I believe) was especially beautiful. We in Northern California are among the last people to experience The New Year's entrance so it feels very old by the time we get it.

ArleneWKW said...

Lorraine: When I got there, I realized that I'd already commented on your lovely New Year's Eve photo and that you had commented. Silly me not to remember.