Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Joi de Vive Pixelated

On August 27, I began a blog in which I described the previous two or three weeks as abundantly joyful. I felt as if each molecule of air that I breathed had at its center a core of perfect goodness. I was a blessing to all whom I encountered and they, by their presence, blessed me. When I was alone, the infinite/eternal and I were One.

A few weeks have passed and reality's hard edges have poked a few holes in the fabric of my Joy. The photos below are of some of the threads out of which this fabric was (and still is) woven.

Adequate sleep: It binds together all the other threads. Without it, nothing can hold. After enough sleepless nights despite my regimen of four pre-bed antihistamines, I decided to toss the pills and stay awake until sleep came thudding by. At this point, I'm mostly getting the sleep I need and waking up with far more energy than I'd had previously.



My hubby, Matt: For a year or so, hubby Matt had a benign tumor on his parathyroid that was causing calcium to be leached from his bones. During this time, he experienced constant spontaneous bone fractures and frequent intolerable pain. The condition went undiagnosed because we all were pretty much focused on his Leukemia and its possible ramifications. Now, several operations later, Matt's been doing substantially better. He goes for daily walks using walking sticks or a cane, has washed the cars, and has done some light gardening. We've truly been given a second chance. In the unexpectedness of this, we relish the good times that we thought were lost to us.

Being able to make fun plans: For many many months, the only plans that Matt and I made were to consult with his various doctors and show up for his various operations. Now we buy tickets for plays and musical performances and vacations are once again on our schedule.


My daughter, Rachael: Rachael, and I had a two day/two night get-away, starting out in San Francisco a then heading to Half Moon Bay. She's wise, funny, and very observant.
She also "gets" me. I am always astounded that this amazing young woman is my daughter.

My son, Ben: Ben sets his goals high and works hard to accomplish them. I'm proud of him.

My granddaughter: Maddie is my first and currently only grandchild. She is a delight. I didn't "need" to be a grandmother for my life to be "complete," but I consider myself blessed that Life has given me this Gift.

The many avenues of creativity that are open to me: I often think that my truest self emerges when I'm alone, especially when I'm working on a project that involves some creativity.

For Maddie's birthday, I made a reversible multi-colored treasure bag into which I put five
smaller such bags filled with objects that are condusive to exploration and creative play. The bags with the tiny pink bear and the tinier white dog are reversible. The blue and beige striped one has a large front pocket. The white one, made with a sheer fabric, has twelve or thirteen compartments. Arriving at a creative idea and seeing that idea expand even as I work on it is a powerful experience for me.



The digital camera that Matt got for me has opened a whole new world.

At this point, my flower project is virtually finished. (I'll have to give it a more pleasing name.) I'm planning to have Tap Plastics finish off the project for me. I'm thinking that I'd like to have the multiple levels protected by plastic banding that goes around the project, possibly as part of the front surface. My mind is abuzz with other themes that I'll use to create future photo mandelas and abstracts. And that's exciting to me, the buzz of future projects whirling around in my head. And also the awesomeness of the technology that's allowing me this kind of play.



And then there are my glass projects. I don't like the way the pink candy dish turned out. I intend to smash it, put the broken pieces in the kiln to reflatten them, and utilize these pieces in a whole other project. I enjoy thinking about this.


Eventually I'll get around sewing the top and shorts that I was going to make for Burning Man 2006. The pattern is already cut out.

I have no idea how I'll use some of this "junk", but I know I'll have fun doing it

.A clear desk (finally): During my non-blogging weeks, I got caught up with my long ignored piles of paperwork. This included going over bank statements from March onwards. I firmly resolve, as I've resolved before, to keep up to date with this stuff.

Books: I have shelves of books that I'm looking forward to reading. Literacy is such a wonderful gift. Come to think of it, aren't we all blessed by our long ago ancestors developing language and a visual way to represent it?

Music and the potential for me to be a music maker: I recently purchased a musical keyboard and have tapped a few of the keys for about two minutes. I'm looking forward to learning how to play. My optometrist told me that I show the early signs of developing macular degeneration in 15 or 20 years. That will probably put the kabosh on the viusal projects I so much enjoy. With that possibility, I've decided to expand my musical skills beyond those of turning the CD player on and off.

The beauty of my world: Since moving to our current residence, I've never taken for granted the natural beauty that surrounds me.

My plants: I no longer seem to have a black thumb. My plants are thriving. They are a factor when I think about taking multi-week vacations.

Routine chores: As long as I'm not rushed to get them done, I enjoy the meditative peace and pace of doing them.

Daisy and Morris: My cats are and always have been a constant source of joy to me.







And so I come to the end of this post feeling truly blessed having reminded myself about the things that elicit my happiness. A final one, about which I didn't write, is reading the blogs of my on-line friends. (I hope I still have on-line friends.) I'll start doing that when I'm again at my computer.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Love it. You've got so much going on in your life and you appreciate all of it, which is fantastic. Very inspiring.

Kathy said...

Taking stock of all the blessings that surround us is so important. And what may seem useless junk to others may be the stuff dreams are made of for us! I loved your comment on grandchildren. I didn't think I would ever be a grandmother...both of my girls had fertility problems...and now I have 4 and three step-grandchildren. My life would have been fine if they had not come along, but I am so...so...blessed now that I have them! They are truly a gift. I continue to be a blogger friend and wish you and your hubby well!

Cory said...

What a terrific post! You have so many great things in your life. It's good that you remember to appreciate them.
Glad to hear that you and Matt are doing well!

new*me said...

Beautiful you living a truly beautiful and full life. Your loved ones are blessed to have you!

I am at the moment trying to enjoy the routine chores at a meditative paces....it makes them seem so different that way!

Glad you are "back!" I missed you!

laughingwolf said...

great post, arlene...

time to embrace life, with its ups and downs, and yours seem to be on the rise :)

Lorraine said...

Very inspiring Arlene, your husband and family are very fortunate to have you :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Sounds like life is good at present for you Arlene, I'm really pleased that you and Matt are able to get some quality time together its such a shame the bone problem wasn't diagnosed earlier.

ArleneWKW said...

Daniele: Thank you. My appreciation for all that is good in my life comes and goes. When I don't get enough sleep, for example, everything is haze covered and I just want to vegetate. It's exhilarating to be in a place of appreciation.

Kathy: I find is so amazing to be a grandma among grandmas. How did I pass so seamlessly from kid to mom to granny? I appreciate your comment.

Cory: Thanks, Cory. I'm happy to see that you are blogging again.

Annette: Such a nice comment. I missed writing and the blogs of on-line friends like you. (I'll have to be away from my computer for about a week again, but will be catching up with everyone once I get back to it.)

Laughingwolf: Thank you. You're absolutely right about embracing the down times took, though is so much easier to embrace the up times.

Lorraine: Thank you. I'm very lucky to have them as well.

Mick: Thanks for your good thoughts. You are right about it being too bad that the bone problem wasn't diagnosed sooner. It has been a source of much unnecessary suffering, physical and emotional.

Moby Dick said...

Wow, that was a MASSIVE POSTING!!

Your daughter is the spitting image of you and you are both quite beautiful!

I am glad to read that everything that is good is finally coming in your direction.

I was listening to Coast-2-Coast AM and they had a guest who claimed that we spend all our lives going through periods of time which are like cycles of good things and bad things. I am over-simplifying it, but it was interesting to think about it.

Nona said...

Where do I begin? What a wonderfully full life you have. Your family is so gorgeous and I am glad that things are looking up for your husband. You must be so relieved. That kind of loss is the sort most of us want to postpone as long as we possible can ... never would be too soon for me actually.

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Excellent post! I'm glad things have been going your way. My mother is feeling better. The swelling in her feet seems to only be at night now, instead of all day. When I was out there this afternoon, she had her booty slippers on, which she hasn't been able to wear for nearly 3 months.
Hope to see you visit soon, and thank you for visiting while my computer was on the fritz!
Lisa

ArleneWKW said...

Spider: You are right. It WAS massive, but most of it was pix. Thanks for the compliment. I've never considered myself beautiful, but very much like it that you think I am. Re. the cyclic nature of good times and bad, I figure I pretty much paid my dues on that as a teen, and am ready for a very long and uninterrupted stretch of good. (I doubt that Life will cooperate.)

Nona: Thanks. My hubby's health is really central to my current sanguine mood. Once the terribles start, all the other stuff is likely to pitch into darkness.

Lisa: Thanks. I'm glad your mom is doing better. Dealing with our parents as they age and their health deteriorates can be quite challenging.