Sunday, June 22, 2008

Week Seven - Milestone #1 Accomplished

My first milestone was to return to the weight at which I began my successful weight loss journey in October 2001. I accomplished that on Thursday, June 19, when I weighed in at 194.8 lbs. at my WW meeting. This is actually .6 lbs. higher than my weight in Fall 2001, but since my current meeting is in the evening while I'd previously been attending meetings during the day, I think I can appropriately claim this success. My next milestone will be when my home scale reads 185 lbs. This is what I weighed when I began this blog on 9/29/05. This morning my home scale said 188 lbs.

I am doing something that I'd advised against, behaving somewhat differently during this weight loss period than I intend to behave once I reach my goal weight. I'd written against doing so when one of my on-line friends discussed being stricter with his food choices while "dieting" than he intended to be once he'd gotten rid of the lbs. I'm currently eating pretty much as I intend to eat for the rest of my life, but I've become an exercise maniac and have no intention of continuing at this level once the flab is gone. I'm on my elliptical cross trainer virtually every day for a total of 81 minutes. This includes a 75 minute work out, a 3 minute warm up, and a 3 minute cool down. I try to keep my heart rate at 136 - 137 beats per minute. This is slightly above the 134 beats per minute recommended by the manufacturer of my elliptical for someone my age. I frequently find myself above this rate and have to slow down. Once I've gotten rid of the lbs. I will continue to use the elliptical as an important component of my over-all health. I'll just be a little more moderate in its use.

My "official" weight loss for the week, that which showed up at my WW meeting, is 2.4 lbs. This morning's weight of 188 lbs. puts me 16 lbs. below the 204 lbs. that I was maintaining for a while.
I remain focused and strong and very optimistic that I am firmly on the path to my goal weight.

6 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Superb movement in the right direction. Glad the motivation is sticking with you :)

Anonymous said...

You're doing great! I've got a lot of respect for anyone who exercises regularly - something that I am still not prepared to do.

Moby Dick said...

Congratulations! You are doing great! 75 minutes straight is really tough on my knees and ankles.

I find it better to do 15 or 30 minutes, and then take a short break (lifting weights), and then do another 15 or 30 minutes, and so on.

That is just me, but it has certainly made a big difference in terms of hip pain, knees and ankles.

Moby Dick said...

I forgot to ask, do you have a bike? I have found bicycling to be very relaxing and much more cardio than just the elliptical. It is also more interesting!

ArleneWKW said...

Thanks Kim, Daniele, and Spider. I can't tell you how much your continued support (comments) means to me.

Yup, I do have a bike Spider, For right now, I find the elliptical way way more of a cardio workout than biking. Around here, though, biking is mainly rolling down hills and (for me) walking the bike up hill. If I go for a bike ride, once I hit a level trail, it's mostly easy and recreational.

Nona said...

Good for you with that elliptical trainer. You are inspiring me. I need to use mine as consistently as you do. I know exercise is the key but I'm so frigging lazy. :(

You are doing really really well. I look forward to your next post.

Btw. Love your side bar photos.